Building muscle in a wheelchair

Options
I’m trying to build muscle in a wheelchair but struggling any advice is welcome

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your physical capabilities are at this point or what equipment you have access to - can you/is it practical for you to move from your chair onto the different seats of machines (or benches for free weights) at the gym? Does your chair give you enough freedom of movement that you could use weights while staying seated in it? If you're going to be staying in your chair, is there adequate support (or is your core strong enough - remember we have no idea whatsoever what your starting point is here) for you to safely lift from there, especially to overhead, etc? Do you have a physical therapist and if so have they given you any guidelines or restrictions?
  • wheels1872
    wheels1872 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I can do the likes of bicep curls from my chair I can’t do overhead I prefer to do that on a machine
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Do you have a physiotherapist or occupational therapist who can help you figure out an exercise plan? I'm on crutches and I would be lost without physiotherapy.
  • wheels1872
    Options
    No but might get one
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    wheels1872 wrote: »
    No but might get one

I strongly recommend it, but in the meantime, there are tons of online resources for exercises for those of us with disabilities. But nothing beats having someone customize a routine for your and monitor your progress.

When you don't have a fully functional body, it's really easy for certain parts to get overtaxed, so that's where professional evaluation and monitoring is so valuable. It's not just a matter of figuring out what exercises you can do with the limbs that work, any yahoo could figure that out. It's a matter of understanding how your body works as a whole, and that's what really matters for you to achieve optimal conditioning.

If you have insurance, then chances are both PT and OT would be covered.
  • wheels1872
    Options
    Yea thank you for your advice