Calories burnt

Options
Hi I have a spin bike stationary, the instrument panel is telling me I've burnt 100 calories after 25 mins of riding Is this correct I somehow think it is not

Replies

• makemybodysing
    makemybodysing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    it's very probably wrong.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,156 Member
    Options
    You haven't given us much to go on to know whether the estimate sounds high or low (your weight, intensity of those 25 minutes) 😉

Does your spin bike know your age, weight, sex...? If not, it's giving you a number based on some average person (which may or may not be similar to you).

Also, does your spin bike specify whether those are gross or net calories? Gross includes BMR calories for those 25 minutes, net calories is what you actually need if you want to log the calories in MFP.

Does your spin bike show your power output in watts? If so, that might help you get a more reliable calorie estimation.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    You don't say whether you think 100 seems too low, too high, or you just don't know?

Unless you're pedaling very slowly, 100 calories for 25 minutes seems like a quite moderate estimate. I think it would be safe to claim that as your calorie burn, in the sense that it's unlikely to be an overestimate. A higher-end stationary bike that measures watts accurately can produce a fairly accurate calorie estimate, but most bikes are more approximate.

Bodyweight does influence exercise calorie burn in general, but seated biking isn't hugely influenced by bodyweight (standing pedaling can be).

Could it have been good for more than 100 calories? Sure, it could. No way to be sure, though, with info this limited. Actually, no way to be even semi-sure without the power metering, IMO.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Does it also have a Watts reading during and when done for average?

Then calories could easily be mathed from that and as accurate as you'll ever get.

And even if calories is not based on that - you can manually - and since that is a NET calories figure, perfect for logging.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You haven't said anyting about your fitness level and intensity of how you are using the bike so 100cals could be right or could be very wrong. The range of possibilities are enormous depending on the ability of the rider.

If that's a true net calorie estimate it would be a very low power output - about 66w which is a very gentle pace.

What data is the bike basing its estimate on?
  • Rsrs35
    Rsrs35 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It would be too hard to tell you without more info.

It would be very much based upon your weight height and definitely how hard the intensity was.

Also some bikes do not ask for all this additional
    Info - mine doesn’t. So as example on my bike, if I did a pretty medium Intensity for 25mins and I would burn about 160kcals.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    That isn't out of line. Mine gives me about 170 calories for half an hour, pedaling 12 miles. MFP will give about 180 for the same time, without knowing how far or what resistance I used.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I always ignore those things
  • markchoppersmith
    markchoppersmith Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys yea it doesn't give me any of that on the instrument panel just a basic screen. Doesn't ask for weight age etc