Recommend me a water bottle please

Options
Can anyone recommend me a water bottle that wont break/split/crack etc when I drop it from the top of the Stairmaster, it falls out of my locker onto the changing room floor etc. I am very clumsy and have lost about 4 now, haha.

I just use disposable 1.5 l water bottles form the super market now as they don't seem to break when dropped but I would rather have something a bit more reusable. (Tho I do refill these until they look a bit too tatty)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    If you want plastic, Nalgene.

I prefer aluminum myself. They dent but that doesn't affect their function.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I like the the Contigo and Camelback bottles. They cost more than other brands, but they last a very long time. (I've had some for many years, to my wife's distress.) There are so many to choose from that it's dizzying, but generally, I like plastic better than metal. I have both vertical (with an internal straw) and inverted (tip up to drink) types, which are useful under different circumstances.

Weird note: I keep one next to the bed, and it is much better if it is the type that you tip up to drink. Otherwise you need to get up off the pillow. (It has to have a good valve...)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I use stainless steel bottles, usually Kleen Kanteen brand (because they're well made, come in various sizes, have various styles of interchangeable tops available, etc.).

These are expensive to buy (depends on size, but $20s-30s USD is common), but worth it to me.

I've had some of my bottles for . . . at least a decade, for sure, maybe longer. I drop them frequently on hard surfaces like concrete. The one I've had the longest has many dents in it. Multiple times, if it's been dented in places that make it not stand on its base properly, I've taken a hammer and tapped on the bottom until it would stand up sensibly again. It's doing fine. Zero rust or corrosion, and it gets wet routinely.

Some of the lids have a loop top, can attach a carabiner/lanyard. Some don't (including the type I prefer to take in the boat when rowing). For those, there are lots of different models of "bottle slings" available that will fit, made by other companies. (I made one myself, too: Easy, if you sew, can be done without a sewing machine even. Use strap material from the fabric store.)

Most of them will fit in a bike bottle holder. (There are a few wide or insulated models that probably wouldn't.)

They come in many colors and patterns, or brushed stainless, if that matters to you.

I'm not associated with this company at all, except as an ultra-happy customer.

ETA: I've had the one I've had the longest since sometime before 2006 - I just remembered a use instance that dates it back at least that far. Yes, I'm pretty old. 😆 But active, row/bike most days in season, do those things indoor (with the bottles) in off-season. They do go places, get abused.)
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I second stainless steel. I use a hydroflask. It's been on many an adventure. The only time I've had to buy a new one is when I lose one.

20220115-180447.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Stainless steel bottles are all I use except on the bike and skiing, where they could be liabilities in a crash.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I use water bottles a lot. I have 6-8 in my rotation, mostly to be able to take 3 on long bike rides during hot weather and have clean ones ready for the next day (since I mix liquid fuel with the water).

While I use stainless steel for some activities, (fishing,hunting trips) l use and really like the CamelBack Podium insulated models. I"ve had 4 or 5 of them and have dropped them many times either while underway or just falling off the table, etc. I've never had a crack, split or spill.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Camelbak Podium water bottles but all the various brand plastic bottles for cycling have proved durable.

Camelbak advantages are they are insulated and also have a self sealing valve so you shouldn't get spills.