Diabetes Eating Out Problem

I've started my health journey this Jan. I work in London at a busy job so I often don't get time to make my own lunch so I end up eating out. I want to ensure I keep eating well even though.

Any tips or methods I can use to make sure I can eat out well - what has worked / not worked for other people?
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    I'm not in the UK, so not sure what's conventional there. Do the eating-out places have online menus? Do the menus have nutritional info?

The general idea is to preview the menus, and pick out some things that will fit well into your typical day. Literally make a list, keep it work or in your wallet. IOW, move the initial decision-making process to a time when you aren't rushed.

If any of the places have nutritional info online, it's even easier. But if there are at least menus, you can make a list of suitable-looking choices. Sure, as you try them, you may find that something is drenched in a butter or something and you didn't expect that; but an off day once in a while is NBD, so just cross that item off your list for the future. You'll get it dialed in.

If you're going to sit-down restaurants with table service, without a plan, those types of places here will sometimes be willing to substitute or simplify a dish, here: Leave off sauce or cheese, serve the burger without the bun, serve a plate of side-dish veggies as a main, etc. Unless that's culturally beyond the pale where you live, it can't hurt to ask.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited January 2022
    Hi @rishchowdhry

I would choose low glycemic foods on the menu.

You can also mention to the server that you are diabetic and to tell the chef no added sugars and request that high glycemic foods be replaced with greens, low GI vegetables and no added sugars.

Doing take out? Just make the choices with the lowest GI foods available.

:)
  • Rsrs35
    Rsrs35 Posts: 46 Member
    Opt for
    Wholefoods
    Low GI foods
    Loads more veg and salads
    Eats nuts (natural unsalted are best - if I can’t find any that aren’t salted then I wash them - idea for you)
    Eat more sweet potato - bake it, make chips / wedges / smash it - it’s so good for diabetics as ur does not raise blood sugar and it really is sweet!! Yum
    Eat more protein and avocados - keeps you fuller for longer

Limit fruit
    Limit carbs like white rice and pasta
    Limit condiments (especially ketchup)

Cut out all sugary snacks and junk
    Don’t add sugar to anything
    If buying food in packets or ready made check the sugar and carbs level - and also test your sugar before and after eating packet meals / it will help you understand what spikes sugar for you (we are all different)

Prepping your own meals at least 3 days a week will really help you - you might enjoy it and start doing it everyday!

Go for a walk at lunch times after you’ve eaten - helps digestion and great to get your steps in.

That’s my 2 cents!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    I personally bulk cook and take leftovers for lunch every day. Either that or make a very simple lunch of bread, hummus, raw vegetables, and hard boiled eggs.

Your other option is to find a lunch option that you can buy that's actually good for you. There are plenty of stores with decent premade options, and plenty of healthy restaurant options out there.

I'm not sure what more advice anyone can give you. Your medical team should have provided you with detailed instructions as to what is safe for you to eat.