Weight (70.5kgs or 155.5lbs)
Height – 5’7 or 170cms
Current Macros
Calories – 2200
Carbs - 248
Protein – 138
Fat - 73

Hello, im new!

Im looking for some advise or comments – ive recently lost a lot of weight over the last 9 months (16kgs or 35lbs) & happy with how my jeans and shirts are fitting however I want to gain some muscle now but without bulking and turning into a fatty (I chucked away all my other clothes that no longer fit!).
Heres my current program – on weights, im lifting 3 sets on 4 exercises on each muscle group & working in hypertrophy so 8-12 reps. Each week, im increasing the weight/reps for progressive overload (2-5 kgs depending on muscle group).

Going by mr BMR and TDEE, my maintenance calories should prob be higher – like 2400 range, however im anxious about increasing these ut know I prob should. Looking for some feedback, im sure there are many experiences out there with this so any thoughts are appreciated – good or bad. Along with my current stats and macros, here is my current workout plan
Mon – 30 min HIIT Spin class then 20 mins Core
Tues – Bi’s & Back
Wed – Body pump (low weights, high reps until fail)
Thurs – Rest
Fri – 45 min Spin class & 20 min Core
Sat – Legs and Core
Sun – Chest, Tris and Shoulders

Look forward to the comments
Cheers
Graham

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "my maintenance calories should prob be higher – like 2400 range, however im anxious about increasing these but know I prob should"

As Nike say in their adverts - just do it.

A lot of people after a significant period of weight loss are anxious about eating more and continue to suppress their intake. Which can mean you continue to suppress your exercise performance and every day calorie burns (lack of energy in can have an impact on energy out).
    2400 if your food logging is remotely accurate sounds low for a young man with an extensive exercise routine, even if your daily activity isn't very active.

Part of the maintenance mindset is making adjustments as what you eat and what you do now is only relevant to now - you and your needs will change throughout your lifetime and you really need to normalise adjustments.
    Remember every experiment is reversible. Set a maintenance range and keep monitoring.

You won't "bulk" or "turn into a fatty" overnight, both are slow processes where trends are measured and monitored in months rather than weeks which we get used to when losing weight.

Regarding training - if you are a relative beginner then any old consistent training will work for a while, enjoying what you do is a huge factor in long term.
    I'm not a fan of Bro Splits but I'm not you, I do better training muscle groups three times a week.