Lady bikers with Weight Issues?

Options
I'm a female biker in England. At my heaviest I weighted 250+ and had to be manhandled into my riding gear - not pretty and certainly not comfortable! They say Fat Bikers bounce Better, but I certainly didn't look good, even though I had a beautiful machine, all eyes were usually drawn to my huge rear fender LOL!!
OK, I'm now down to 184 and I just bought myself a nice fitted jacket which looks way better and am saving for decent pants to complete the outfit - BUT my question is this....

Are you a lady biker with weight problems, or have you solved your problems. If so, how do you handle food on rallies, ride-outs etc, when all that's usually available is processed crap in the form of burgers, greasy fry-ups and pizza (which we all LOVE of course, but would spell disaster to our diet regime).

I've taken to campsite cooking which is a drag when I'd rather be in the music tent giving it some. However, its the only way I can control what I eat when I'm away from home.

Do YOU have this sort of dilemma to solve? I'd be happy to hear anyone's thoughts about this, it is really difficult when you're at a rally and its usually an alcohol and grease fuelled weekend - even I cant dance off the amount of calories that a "normal" amount of eating would provide.

Any lady bikers out there? Come back and chat!

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm not a biker, but I've felt the challenge while riding on the back of my dad's motorcycle. My poor banana and apple were bruised to no end just from the bumping on the motorcycle. I had to pack those things like china in order to prevent them for going all brown.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    If I'm gone for a long ride I put my Topeak Trunk Bag on my bike so I have room to actually pack food. With that puppy on I can pack basically anything without concern of it getting crushed. I bring fruit (often times I freeze it ahead of time so it cools everything in the bag), PB&J sandwich (in a hard container, because I have one), nuts, etc... And I've been known to stop and grab a beer or two along my ride. I guess I'm one of those girls that "rides to eat"!

I don't ride to rallies per se, but at my peak I would often ride all day, stopping at parks/bars/etc.... (I'm 6 months pregnant now so spinning in my basement is the extent of my riding right now).
  • NWCountrydancer
    NWCountrydancer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been riding about three years now. I try to bring food I can eat that is somewhat healthy and will travel well, nuts, trail mix, carrots, etch. When I get somewhere I try to eat the least greasy food. Sometimes that is a salad. Since I'm gluten intolerant, it is a little challenging, but not impossible.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't bike but I do camp and go to music weekends with lots of beer and fried breakfast style temtptation. We got into going to farm shops and getting local goodies to make things more interesting - OH in particular liked getting the local meat to BBQ. If you don't have a griddle pan then I'd suggest get yourself one to take camping, as they're much faster than a BBQ for cooking meat. And you don't have to clean, bar a brush down once cool!

Firstly I'd suggest get your meals planned. Same thing everyday is fine for a long weekend. Makes things much quicker too, as you don't have to figure out what you want!

There's no need to cook a breakfast, I'd stick with something fast and no hassle like pots of fat free Greek yoghurt and those ready prepped pots of fruit in juice. Definitlely eat before leaving the tent and smelling tasty calories.

For lunch I'd take some of those ready cut mixed bags of salad, a small bottle of low fat dressing, and then your meat. Some skinless chicken breast, lean steak or venison steak. Low in fat high in protein and you're really not going to be missing those greasy burgers. Super fast to cook up in a griddle pan, just throw the meat in a sandwich bag with a teaspoon of oil and a couple of pinches of dried herbs first, squidge it around, and bung straight on the hot griddle for a few minutes each side. Big side of salad and If you're not cutting out carbs, then add slice of granary baguette and you have a much better 'burger' than anything from a tent. When out doing stuff I always get the main meal out of the way earlier in the afternoon, so you don't have to think about going home to eat when you'd rather be having fun.

Tinned soup for late night supper when you finally crawl back into the tent, is really cosy, again nice and quick.

Take pretzels or twiglets to munch on.

The beer and cider would be my downfall, sooo many calories in that stuff. I'd take a bottle of diet mixer out dancing with me, pre-spiked with some vodka or gin.