Basmati rice calories

Options
FitnessFreak1821
FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
edited January 2022 in Food and Nutrition
OK so I'm little confused as how to measure rice. Tonight I made basmati rice. It says 160 cals per 1/4 cup so i did ( 2 )1/4 cups thinking it's 320 calories when cooked. Is that correct?

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Yes, rice is always measured dry. 650 calories per dry cup. Doesn't matter how you cook it unless you try to remove starch by par boiling. When cooked, divide it up in portions of the total by weight of visual.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    Yes, rice is always measured dry. 650 calories per dry cup. Doesn't matter how you cook it unless you try to remove starch by par boiling. When cooked, divide it up in portions of the total by weight of visual.

Thank you!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,470 Member
    Options
    You could use a scale and measure in grams. It's probably a lot more intuitive as most grains come in at around 350 (plus/minus 15) calories per 100gr. This is true for uncooked rice, couscous, pasta, quinoa, and lots of similar things.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    You could use a scale and measure in grams. It's probably a lot more intuitive as most grains come in at around 350 (plus/minus 15) calories per 100gr. This is true for uncooked rice, couscous, pasta, quinoa, and lots of similar things.

I do use a food scale some times. Would it be the same as uncooked calories
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I cook my rice and then eat 100 grams cooked. It's not a perfect way, but we cook a batch of rice for the family, and it's just easier. It's worked for me.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 215 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I use this table which breaks down cals between cooked and raw weights/measures. Basmati is just a long grain white rice:
    https://st-tech.com/food/calorie-counter/flour-noodles-pasta-rice-spaghetti

If you are looking to log in MyFitnesspal app you just look from either a raw/uncooked/dry weight entry or a cooked entry. I tend to use cup measures with cooked rice when I'm logging rice.

The other give away is dry weight is much higher in cals per measure compared to cooked.