Accidentally fell and broke myself

Options
A couple of months ago, I realised I had gotten pretty far off track from where I wanted to be. I have been "close enough" to goal for a long time that I wasn't paying much attention, but the slow creep was happening and I realised I had gained 3kg from a couple of months earlier and not even noticed. I decided to get serious, and hired a coach and everything. Then, 3.5 weeks ago....I slipped on some rocks I was attempting to climb and broke my sacrum (lower back). Then 2 weeks later, my husband brought Covid home to us all (thanks, honey) and I was pretty sick - apparently opioids aren't great for lung function. I am finally better from Covid, but it's going to be another couple of months with the back recovery. Trying to get back on board with the food tracking. I'm not aiming for a deficit at the moment, as my body needs the nutrients to heal, but I'm just...SO frustrated. I was really excited to get my fitness etc back on track, and now walking down the street at a slow shuffle is all I can do. So looking for inspirational stories - anyone gone on after an injury like this to have great fitness, and zero ongoing problems? Miss the days when I was young and I bounced more than broke! :s

Replies

• Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 58 and last March ripped the skin off part of the bottom of my right foot. Spent 8 months off my feet, a week in the hospital on oral and iv antibiotics and 3 casts later am back to health. I started out eating slightly above weight to heal but gained weight. Had to set calories to lose at 0.5 lbs/wk to maintain weight. Weighed and logged my food and did not gain weight after all that time away from exercise. A month into exercise have lost the 0.5 inch my hips increased from all the sitting.
    Wishing you health and rapid healing.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, after I had been running for about 6 months and was preparing for my first half marathon, I developed a pelvic stress fracture from doing too much too soon. I couldn't run and wasn't even supposed to walk. I was seriously depressed, in part because running had become my way of dealing with depression. It was 7 months before I could run again, though I was able to walk after about 4 months. I didn't end up gaining weight during those months of inactivity. Some of that was that when I'm seriously unhappy, I'm not hungry. Mostly it was because I decided to take control over the one thing I did have control over: what I ate. Instead of using the injury as an excuse to use food (mostly sweets) to feel better, I focused on eating as healthy as I could. I lost about 20 lbs.