Schools dropping healthy lunch program

Options
Just read this and I didn't see anyone else posting it so I thought I would share:

http://news.yahoo.com/school-districts-quit-healthier-lunch-171153815.html

To me, the sad part is the fact that many schools and districts can't afford to drop this program even though they want to. So they are stuck between a financial choice and a moral one: is it worth it to say no to government money if it means the kids will actually eat what we give them, even if it isn't "nutritious"? Thoughts?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's a no-win

One hand you have the government encroaching on parental rights/responsibilities, and on the other, you have lots of parental irresponsibility/ignorance when it comes to food.

I've packed my son's lunch every day from 3K to currently 3rd grade, and I consider myself lucky that he is picky and doesn't care for hot lunch. However, packing a lunch isn't always the solution. On Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, he encouraged parents to pack lunches if they could, and they just tossed a Lunchable and a bag of chips in their backpacks.

My kid's lunch usually looks like this:
    Capri Sun Roarin' Waters juicebox
    PB sandwich - natural PB on Sara Lee 45 cal bread, and a "S'more sandwich" (Nutella with blowtorched Fluff) on Fridays
    Applesauce
    A carby cracker/bread - Goldfish, pretzels, baked Cheetos
    A junk - candy, fruit snack, cookies
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Heck you can't even win the debate. Just do a search on school lunches.