Weight loss but no Inches loss???

Options
I've lost 9.4 lbs, but no inches anywhere on my body! How is this possible?!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Throw away the tape measure
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Poop?
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    How big were you to begin with and how tall? Your body loses weight from all over, so if you're particularly big/tall to begin with, it takes longer to see results. I'm 5'9" and started out at 343 pounds. I've lost nearly 20 pounds and still haven't seen much of a difference in actual inches. My pants might be slightly looser, but it's nothing super significant. Just be patient, keep losing weight, and the inches will start coming off! building muscle also helps you shed inches, though you won't lose weight as fast. That choice depends on the person though. I know if I was focusing on trying to build muscle at my current weight and activity level, I would just end up quitting.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I've lost 10 pounds and almost 30 inches. I lose inches even when I'm not losing weight...which is strange to me. I like to weight myself and do measurements because you just never know which one it will be.
  • echofm1
    Options
    30 inches from where? That's a super significant amount. Like a whole person.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    measuring in different spots, so not getting an accurate read?
  • kns6374
    kns6374 Posts: 29
    Options
    I wasn't aware that a whole person was composed of only 30 inches. :p
  • echofm1
    Options
    I see! That makes sense

When I think of measuring inches, I think more of pants size I guess, maybe bust size, but mainly waist area. Hence why 30 inches is a whole person :P
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    i had the same thing, after one month the scale was going down and I was really disappointed that the tape measure hadn't budged. I'm pretty sure I measure in the same places as I have given specific names to the locations.

But, the good news is, after 2 months, suddenly when I re-measured I had lost between 0.5 and 1 inch across every single measurement. My next vistory will come when I can actually *see* this loss with my own eyes because right now when I look in the mirror I still think I look exactly the same (though I suspect that's more to do with the fact that my eyes weren't registering the truth of my actual aize before starting out :smile: )
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I hope you're not losing bone mass.

I think I'm losing my mind, I've lost a pants size and a half but my measurements seem the same.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've lost 9.4 lbs, but no inches anywhere on my body! How is this possible?!

I am having the same problem and can't figure it out, either.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You are not measuring all over your body. You can lose inches from all kinds of places where you are not measuring, for instance in your face, shoulders, pubic mound, or even around your organs.

Edit: I also notice that I find it really hard to measure accurately. When I lose weight my shape changes and it is hard to know if I'm measuring in the same place/way as last time. So now I only measure every few months or so. Imho, it is better to go by the fit of your clothes, or the feel of your body to get an impression of your more short term results.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I hear visceral fat around your organs is the first to go. That is a good thing because that is the fat that puts you at risk for diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. You are losing visceral fat when you notice your belly getting less firm (because you are only left with the subcutaneous stuff under the skin).
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    My scales don't move and I have lost inches from my waste and thighs ..

Go figure :))x
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You're probably losing from a different place than you're measuring.

My hip, thigh, and waist measurements have been the same for a couple of months now but I've lost a pants size. I'm just not measuring in the right spot to see the loss.
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that a whole person was composed of only 30 inches. :p

LOL- They do neck/upper arm R & L/ Bust/ Rib/ belly/ hip/ but/ upper th/ above knee/ calf
    I took off 20 inches total so far but when the scale moves the inches don't- and flip that. It's a give and take. Hand in there! ! !
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    In my most humble opinion....The tape measure like pretty much every other measuring technique is not a very reliable indicator of progress or lack there of in the short term. I switched over to just weighing myself once a day and taking my weekly average and never looked back.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Inches take longer than pounds.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is a law unto itself - who knows what mysterious rules it goes by. Sometimes I lose inches and weight, sometimes it's just inches, sometimes it's just weight. Sometimes I lose neither and my close feel more baggy...

Keep at it, your body is doing it's own thing!
  • sueclare38
    sueclare38 Posts: 125
    Options
    The first few lbs I lost were from my face, which I didn't notice, but a few people said to me your face looks slimmer.