Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Don't cancel calorie burn from step after entering activity

Options
jstonedotorg
jstonedotorg Posts: 3 Member
When I enter an activity all calories burned from steps before are cancelled.

Can this be changed to only cancel steps during the duration of the activity (instead of the whole day before?
9 votes

Open for Voting · Last Updated

Replies

• angeldavon
    angeldavon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I second this suggestion. I hate that my exercise entry wipes out my step allowance!
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 732 MFP Staff
    Options
    If you are seeing a step count and a 0 for the adjustment, then you have not yet earned an adjustment.

The adjustment is actually not based on your step count, but instead based on your entire activity for the day. The step count is there as an incentive and though it does contribute to part of your activity level, it's not the sole contributor.

Therefore x amount of steps does not mean you will receive x amount of extra calories.

The way the adjustment is derived is by comparing your total calories burned from your tracker against the total calories already provided by MyFitnessPal.

When you have earned more calories than MyFitnessPal has already provided, you will then see the difference as your adjustment.

** You can view a breakdown of this calculation by tapping on the adjustment line and then on the adjustment itself (above the Learn More button) in the app, or by clicking the "i" next to the adjustment line in the Cardiovascular section online at www.MyFitnessPal.com **

Please also note: the total calories from MyFitnessPal will include any calories instantly provided by adding separate exercises (outside of your partner adjustment) to MyFitnessPal, along with the calories needed to reach the goals you set when joining the program.

The following article may also help: https://myfitnesspal.zendesk.com/hc/articles/360032623871-What-is-the-Calorie-Adjustment-in-my-Exercise-Diary-
  • aeaston111
    aeaston111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is an example of why this doesn't make sense to me:
    Yesterday, I burned 1000 calories while biking 32 miles over 2 hours and 10 minutes. I also took 4000 steps, and none of those steps occurred while I was biking. However, my calorie adjustment was 0; the app says I only burned 1000 calories yesterday. Certainly I burned some calories while I was taking those 4000 steps, beyond what I burned while I was biking, right?
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 732 MFP Staff
    Options
    aeaston111 wrote: »
    Here is an example of why this doesn't make sense to me:
    Yesterday, I burned 1000 calories while biking 32 miles over 2 hours and 10 minutes. I also took 4000 steps, and none of those steps occurred while I was biking. However, my calorie adjustment was 0; the app says I only burned 1000 calories yesterday. Certainly I burned some calories while I was taking those 4000 steps, beyond what I burned while I was biking, right?

I recommend writing into our Support Team directly, so we can take a closer look. You can send an email to support@myfitnesspal.com. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.