serving sizes

Options
april522
april522 Posts: 388 Member
How many of you actually weigh out or measure your serving sizes and food? I am guilty, since it's the only way I know for sure that I am really eating 1/2 cup of rice and not 3/4 cup. It just works best for me that way. I'm curious if I'm the only one out there that does this. And I mean I weigh everything (or measuring it out in cups, etc). I use my ounce/gram scale at least 4 times a day.

Replies

• BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale to weigh out but I am diligent about measuring everything. Keeps you honest and you know that you are not under- or overestimating your calories. So, good job! It will get easier and we will be able to eyeball it in the future, but for now I think measuring and weighing is smart. *thumbs up*
  • mocosa74
    mocosa74 Posts: 42
    Options
    Well..call me guilty as well!! I get that from doing WW though, so it is ingrained into my skull! I even go so far as to count the amount of grapes I eat!! =) And I am sure we are not the only ones. It is the only way to get an accurate count! =)
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I weigh/measure out all of my food too. I feel like it's the only way I can keep on track. Especially because it helps me be aware of what an actual serving size is, so when I'm faced with something - like going to a restaurant - I can keep in mind how much I've eaten.
  • lemzip
    lemzip Posts: 12
    Options
    i use my scales quite often, before i started dieting i didnt realise how much i ate.

i didnt realise 30g of special k only just filled the bottom of the bowl, until i started measuring i'd be have 4servings in one.
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    I bought 3 sets of measuring spoons and cups to make sure i would do it even if one was dirty. :blushing: I also bought a kitchen scale, it is most useful for meat. I don't think I could do this without these tools!!!
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I weigh out everything. In the beginning it was kinda weird to stand in the kitchen with my little scale. But now I'm so used to it, I wouldn't know what to do without.
  • TruSunshine
    TruSunshine Posts: 178
    Options
    I weigh/measure out all of my food too. I feel like it's the only way I can keep on track. Especially because it helps me be aware of what an actual serving size is, so when I'm faced with something - like going to a restaurant - I can keep in mind how much I've eaten.

Very well put! I totally agree!!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I still weigh and measure most things. The only thing I'm not measuring is the milk in my coffee because after a week of using 1/2 cup of whole milk, I pretty much figured, I need 1/2 cup of whole milk to color my coffee.
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am Guilty too :bigsmile: , but its the only way I know for sure how much I am eating (portion size was my downfall!) I never knew that one serving of cereal was only 30g I was eating about 4/5 as our cereal bowls are huge, but since I started weighing everything food labels really annoy me as they list the info for 100g then say serving size is 30g or 75g or 150g why can't they list the infor for the serving size :explode: (sorry rant over!)
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to measure the higher calorie foods more accurately....veggies and other routine foods I pretty much "eyeball"....when I'm making a salad its a handful of this, a pinch of that....The more concerned I am about about the food knocking me off track, the greater the chance I will measure it...I've lost 38 lbs so far...it works for me...as for my wife...I'm always on her about serving sizes...I'm not saying she cheats..I'm just saying...
  • SwissTracey
    SwissTracey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this. I weigh and measure everything, even the stuff I eat all the time and could probably eyeball it now, but no I still measure. The only thing that is not totally accurate for me is green veggies, I eat more but the cals are really low so I don't worry about it too much
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I still weigh and measure most things.
    Me too! I've been doing this since November 2009 and STILL weigh EVERYTHING out. My boyfriend probably thinks I'm nuts! LOL
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Not nuts. Percise!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I use my measuring cups/spoons and my food scale all the time...If I don't I know I will go over since I can't eyeball a correct portion size. Its a habit now to measure everything and I don't mind--what I do mind is when I have something weighed out and my husband takes some of it saying its no big deal-so I have to make sure to keep it away from him!
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have to - until I started doing so a couple of weeks ago I was eating about 2 portions of pasta/rice/cereal each time. Until I feel my eye is trained to what a 'normal' portion is I will use the scales :)