Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Ask before enabling some nutrient goals

Options
kamil1010
kamil1010 Posts: 2 Member
When I first started using the app, my goal was to reduce my calorie intake. I was hitting my goal but the app was doing its best to put me down with "too much sugar", "too much fat", "too much sodium". I never signed up to these goals! They weren't *my* goals! These days I do also make sure that I get enough protein, the fat and sugar sort of work out, but it was a conscious decision of mine to expand my goals to protein as well, after doing some research. And I still frankly don't care about sodium much (I'm young, healthy BMI, perfect blood pressure; and if you see past official guidelines into scientific studies, things get muddier).

I think the app shouldn't assume that as soon as you open an account and set a target weight, you sign up to *ALL* its recommendations. I think it should ask you first, and educate why the other, more detailed goals are important and how they can affect your health, and let you enable them if you're convinced.

This may actually open a path to a more "modular" approach, where you could select not just the default, balanced recommendation, but other types of diet as well, such as low-carb. Which could increase the app's appeal to some users.
Tagged:
3 votes

Open for Voting · Last Updated

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    You can customize all of your targets on MFP and choose which nutrients you want to track. None of my settings are default MFP settings...you can customize everything however you wish. I swapped out tracking sugar for tracking fiber.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Meh---if you think having a number in red is "putting you down".

I don't see it that way and have been here 8 years. There are other problems to worry about. I have learned to ignore most things that are a bit irritating. There will be quite a few in life. If you are on the free version of MFP then I think you're more than getting your money's worth.