Protein on a Cut

Options
If I am only lifting 3 days a week during a weight cut, do I need 0.8-1.0g of protein per day to prevent muscle loss?

Replies

• ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yes. Jeff Nippard explains...
    https://youtu.be/EOh2R-89qqg
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,092 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you need extreme amounts of protein, but an elevated amount has lots of benefits. For my bodyweight, the minimum I should take in for health is about 50g per day. I try to double that every day, triple on days I lift. I'm still well short of the 0.8-1.0g/lb you are asking about, which would have me pushing 200g every day, but not only do I maintain my muscles just fine, but the protein helps to reduce feelings of hunger throughout the day.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The other 2 things needed to prevent muscle loss besides enough protein:

Keep the intensity on the weights even if increasing is about impossible. If you need to back down the reps to keep the weight, fine. Because recovery can be hampered.

Have a reasonable deficit.
    Make it extreme, enough protein and lifting won't matter, body will protect the required body muscle by not repairing and building back up the more optional muscle.

How much are you trying to cut, and at what rate?
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I’m cutting 500 cals a day. I’m down 5-7lbs and want to drop 5-7lbs more…
  • heybales
    Options
    So tad extreme if overall desire is retain as much muscle mass as possible.

At least it's so short in time you won't really lose that much....

Squats & dead's is good place to watch the effects, weight off the body should go on the bar and feel the same.
    If it feels way heavier and can't hit same reps/weight - be concerned.
    Of course at that point too late....
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    500 is only 1lb a week. I felt that was on the slow side. Also, I don’t deadlift or squat heavy due to age and injury problems, volume is holding. I’m doing an inbody scan every month and watching my numbers. I’ve actually gained a little muscle since I moved to a much high volume workout after finishing the strong lifts program during my bulk. I guess I’m building muscles strong lifts ignores…
  • heybales
    Options
    Typically if coming down to the final 10 lbs, 250 cal deficit is reasonable to finish off.

Since you are not coming down to the final 10 after a long time dieting - that MAY not be seen by the body as keeping extreme. That is merely a guideline.

But it depends on what other stress a body is under, 500 may or may not been seen as extreme by your body at this point.

Sadly it's one of those things you won't know unless in a study getting measured out the whazoo, and even that would only tell you oops crossed the line, numbers moved the undesired direction.
    Since keeping what you got was desired goal, just wanted to mention the other 2 legs of the stool required besides enough protein.

That's great you got some data that sounds good - so likely fine.

Ya, SL5x5 is strength building - good at tapping out what you got, and getting stronger with what you got. Compared to true body building (hypertrophy) routine focused on adding more muscle - so good job switching to more volume, probably helps injury anyway.