getting back in control.....

Options
Log in for 35 days straight now, so guess I am going to stick with it. Recently diagnosed (at the age of 67) with type 2 diabetes. I also have hypothyroidism which effects my body ability to process the food. Been large all my life, except when my thyroid started to work for a few years. Once it stop working my weight came right back. For the moment I am concentrating on carbs only and trying to get my Blood glucose down to expectable numbers. I have had to increase my food intake, as I was only eating one meal a day... now 2 meals 2 snacks a day. If the weight comes off that is a plus. I use a walker so will walk more i the house and hopefully this summer when the snow is gone walk outside as well. When Covid ever goes away I hope to get back to the pool and walk in the water and swim some.
Tagged:

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,359 Member
    Options
    Sounds ,like s good plan
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

I've never had diabetes, but have seen multiple people around here make excellent progress controlling it through weight loss, well-rounded eating, and exercise, so it sounds like you're on a good course.

Like you, I'm hypothyroid (quite severely so, but medicated for it successfully). This is a good post here about hypothyroidism and weight loss, written by an MFP-er who is a scientist in the field, hypothyroid himself, and who himself also lost weight via calorie counting:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

I'm 66, used MFP to lose from obese to a healthy weight at age 59-60, have been maintaining a healthy weight, still using MFP, since.

Hang in there, stick with a steady moderate weight loss rate, and I'd bet on your success. Wishing you a great outcome!
  • runningintherain1
    Options
    I'm hypoT too. I'm doing low carb keto (well trying to get there). 35 days in a row is amazing!
    Ann
  • CalicoWind
    CalicoWind Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey "LadyJo"!
    Good job with commitment!! Keep it up! I'm in the same boat as you, for the most part. I'm 67, type 2, trying to get my A1C down so I can live longer. I too, miss the gym/pool where I was really making progress prior to this last bout of covid. I live in MI, so temps are in the teens with wind chills below zero. I can't wait to get back to walks outside! I don't have the hypo-T, but hey, you got this! I too, was using a walker just a couple of years ago and did laps around my house. It works! You WILL get stronger and stronger! Come Spring, you'll be walking outside too! I'm trying to use this app to log low-carb and my macro's, and my Phys. *kitten*'t. just gave me a "Libre 2" and I am loving how much insight it is giving me! The "low sugar" alarm sounded at midnight my first night with it and here my b.s. was 62. So I alerted hubby in case I passed out and drank some watered down OJ and a glucose tablet and it raised back up to a safe level. I truly think EVERY diabetic should be provided a Libre to wear, to become more aware of their numbers. I'm finding it FUN - - I scanned 10 times today - - in the past I would've never poked my finger 10 times in one day! Keep up your meals, exercise and drink water! Hugs!