Blood pressure high

Options
SModa61
SModa61 Posts: 2,869 Member
edited January 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey all, I am primarily reaching out because this has NEVER been a concern for me and is totally foreign. Had my annual physical yesterday and BP was 140/80 (left arm), and some sort of 130+ in my right. I have never, even at my highest weights, had anything but normal blood pressure (around 120 over 60 something). I am ticked!

Current life: Bought a home in july before we were reading to see our home. Were forced to jump through hoops for months by RE agent to sell our family home. As end in sight approached, my 87 year old father's hip broke mid-stride. 85 year old mom is early dimensia, does not drive, and my parents are hoarders. Been dealing with them while trying to settle my own life including ongoing realities of holidays and COVID and a home in disarray (not knowing, we donated 80% of our furniture). Daily exercise is gone, and I have gained 15 lb since labor day, which is half of what I lost last year with MFP and its community. Mind you that this is still 21 lb under my high weight of 168.8, and I had normal BP then. Is the rapidity of my wight gain a factor?

So, I am shocked. PCP stated that returning to exercise and cleaning back up my diet is important. Will be doing extensive bloodwork tomorrow morning (would have been this morning but have other pre-existing appointments).

Anyhow, I was already trying to get back on track as of two days ago - ie daily exercise and at a minimum, honest food tracking.

Would love insights into the topic of high BP as I literally no nothing. TIA

Replies

• SModa61
    Options
    140/80 as a one off reading in the Drs surgery doesn't seem a concern to me

Glad it doesn't strike you as a concern. It is a significant change for me, which leads me to want to understand. In December, when I was seen for an ear infection from my "cold from hell", my BP was 133 over something, and I recall saying that that was not correct and that I my be just feeling hyper. So, overall trend up over time. I don't want to go up by another 10 in another month.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    As said above, the 140/80 is a one-off reading and is pretty meaningless. You really need several readings in a row to establish a pattern for HBP (and if your Dr is giving you grief over the one reading, the Dr is an *kitten*).

Also, stress is a major contributing factor to HBP (and you seem to be having a certain amount of that right now). I totally know where you are coming from in regards to the parents - my father passed recently and we are in the process of cleaning out his house (and while I dearly loved my father and miss him every day). the man never threw away anything that had to do with finances - we have found 30 year old receipts for things that have long since gone the way of the dinosaurs in his house. He was also an avid reader and preferred real books to electronic tablets, so we have about 1000 books to box up and donate to the local libraries as well (we have already collected over 30 boxes and still haven't touched the shelves that line the garage walls!).

One thing that you really need to do in times like this is to take care of yourself - set some time aside (as difficult as it may be) to just unwind and forget about the other things that are going on and relax!! It will help your state of mind and will definitely help to relieve the stress that you are dealing with.
  • minnelizzy
    minnelizzy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try not to stress that won’t help. Also- it’s common to have higher readings once in awhile especially at the docs office. I purchased a bp monitor for this very reason as I had the same issue. Take your bp a few times regularly to get a better idea of what your actual bp is. Then go from there. I’m personally losing weight and doing more cardio. Good luck.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I take my BP at home every morning. It's always normal or low hypertension stage 1. However, whenever I go to the doctor, my BP there is always higher. I show the doctor what my app has, and he's okay with it. Maybe get your own monitor and take it every morning. See if your doctor will write you a script for it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would say one stand alone reading isn't anything to blow off, but nothing to be exasperated by either. BP is one of those things that fluctuates depending on circumstances and can be affected by bad sleep, stress, a high sodium day, or a myriad of other things.

I do have hypertension and take my blood pressure at home, where it is recommended to take several readings throughout the day to get a daily average. Mine is always higher in the morning, drops in the afternoon, and is usually in the normal range in the evening. I am also on meds...but regular exercise does play a big part. When I was doing a lot of endurance cycling events and training on the bike 4-5 days per week and lifting on a regular schedule my average (with meds) was 175/70. I haven't been doing much training the last couple of years and have been more of a regular walker and weekend warrior on the bike and sometimes weight lifter and my average is around 145/90 which is one of the reasons I'm getting back on my endurance biking kick and back into the weight room on a regular schedule.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    I would say the main concerning thing is that you said this is not typical for you, and that you've never before had a high blood pressure reading. That makes it concerning because it indicates a change. Also, I noticed you mentioned 2 different blood pressures in your different arms. Having two different blood pressures in your arms can also be concerning. But, in the end, always go with what your doctor says, and ask them questions. Never rely on random weirdos on the internet for advice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I'm normally in the 11Xs but years ago got a 140 after rushing to get to the doctors, not having any waiting time, and being excited about a first date later that night. The date was a bust and my blood pressure went back down, lol.

So while I, internet rando, am not concerned about your one reading, I do encourage you to get back to healthy habits as that should help you deal with the stress of aging parents.

I've had to drag my mother to a financial advisor twice lately as her financial decision making is...not sound...and I needed the Voice of Authority to back me up.
  • SModa61
    Options
    @littlegreenparrot1 My doc did ask about fruits and vegetables. At this time last year, they were great. Lately, they would have to be hidden in the ice cream and junk food I have bonded with. Also, last year, I was walking virtually every day, and if not walking, then another exercise. Trying to get to florida on Feb 4 and using it as a reset of my life. There I walk with friends (I see none up north lately) and walk for 1 - 2 hours.

@minnelizzy I picked up the monitor a couple hours ago and I will be collecting data.

@nooshi713 Thank you for your professional insights. Good to know that more than one reading is required to identify an issue. As for doctor nerves, yesterday was no different than any other visit until she concluded I need a diagnostic mammogram tomorrow. But the BP was taken earlier. I plan to start logging my readings.

@anya_000 Sounds like you have much more to be stressed about than me. Glad you are taking care of yourself. I am going to be working on getting back to making smart choices.

@NYPhotographer2021 I will be following your example

@Honeybadger302 Sorry you have faced so much. Thank you for sharing your bullet points and plan. I will used your notes. I hope your life comes back together for you. <3

@cwolfman13 Doc asked about sleep and I laughed. One cat howls at night and the other makes a nest on me. But they make me happy. Could you explain how 175/70 is better than 145/90? Is diastolic more important? I have a lot to learn. I will try the multiple daily readings

@sollyn2312 Exactly. Changes are worth understanding. Good or bad. Interesting on the point about two arms. I got the impression that my doctor was pleased with the lower number in the right arm. Can you expound?

@kshama2001 Yesterday was a nutty day before my physical. so maybe that contributed. I naively did not expect my parents to be the challenge they have become - all in only a few months.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I'd observe that you've had multiple changes of habits, each of which individually may not be a big deal, but each associated in some way with possibility of increased BP: Eating fewer veggies, gaining a few pounds, higher stress, reduced exercise.

It could be a one-off, for sure: Mine is at that level occasionally at a doctor's office, especially if I've been rushing around or something (and I do have a bit of "white coat syndrome" with BP sometimes, given that I have a history of borderline high BP when I was obese, so I'm a little anxious when they take it at primary care).

But it could be a combination of many small factors, if there turns out to be a pattern of higher BP. In that sense, maybe start with any aspect of the self-care that's easiest to change, if you choose to treat this as a warning bell.

Best wishes for good outcomes!

• SModa61
    Options
    thanks @annPt77 could be good inspiration for reinstating better habits. Ironically, when I got serious on MFP fall 2020, my motivation was "I don't want to be my parents". Now, they are a piece of my derailment. I really should think more clearly and be even more motivated to get and stay on track.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @littlegreenparrot1 My doc did ask about fruits and vegetables. At this time last year, they were great. Lately, they would have to be hidden in the ice cream and junk food I have bonded with. Also, last year, I was walking virtually every day, and if not walking, then another exercise. Trying to get to florida on Feb 4 and using it as a reset of my life. There I walk with friends (I see none up north lately) and walk for 1 - 2 hours.

@cwolfman13 Doc asked about sleep and I laughed. One cat howls at night and the other makes a nest on me. But they make me happy. Could you explain how 175/70 is better than 145/90? Is diastolic more important? I have a lot to learn. I will try the multiple daily readings

I got my numbers turned around...I meant 117/70...so a bit below what is considered normal.
  • SModa61
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »

I got my numbers turned around...I meant 117/70...so a bit below what is considered normal.

I am no longer confused. :)
  • no1wf
    no1wf Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add if I may, that people I see at work who are in a similar position and want to monitor their BP start taking readings so frequently, and the more you worry about it and the more you do it - if you do see higher numbers than what you'd expect you continue to panic and the cycle continues.

If you do want to regularly take your BP make sure it's consistent, so the same time of day, make a note of what you've eaten/drank, any activities/exercise you've just done. I've had people who have struggled up the stairs to get the machine, then wondered why the reading was high! We take 3 readings to check the average too.
  • SModa61
    Options
    @no1wf thank you for that advice. Picked up the monitor this afternoon, and either it doesn't work, or my numbers are lower than they were yesterday at the physical. going to start my notes in the AM, and I agree from a scientific, good data, perspective that readings should be at comparable times.