I need a good mid-afternoon snack

Options

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My snack today:

My coffee (Homebrew with 1/2 tsp sugar and 2 tbsp French Vanilla creamer)
    22.5g salted peanuts
    Fibre 1 brownie

Some days, I throw in some fruit, sometimes a few crackers and cheese...
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    On Sunday evening, i measure out about 4 ounces of veggies in 5 ziplocs...Snow peas, celery sticks, bell pepper strips, cherry tomatoes...Then make dip using fat free greek yogurt...google for some ideas. My favorite flavor is chipolte chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and the juice of half a lime - a few shakes of each - then measure a third of a cup into 5 small containers. It is so easy to grab them and you can vary the "flavors", too.

Also, if you make your own dip flavors, you are skipping the MSG and sodium that can sometimes cause water retention.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I work from 9-6, have breakfast when I get to work, lunch is at noon, and then I don't get home until about 6:30-6:45 at night, then I have to make dinner so there are nights I don't eat until after 7:30. So at around 3ish I start getting sluggish and hungry. What's a good snack I can get that will help me get through the day and not take up uber calories? I'm thinking carrot sticks but I can't do that every day. Thanks!

I'll take a chicken breast.
  • kmz13
    kmz13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would go with plain greek yogurt that packs 18 g protein or a Quest Bar. They are delicious if anyone hasnt tried them yet! They have 17 grams of fiber and 20 grams of protein and 160-200 calories depending on which flavor. They are seriously the best protein bars out there and have a natural line with is made with Stevia rather than sucralose
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Almonds
    Beef Jerky
    Turkey Pepperoni
    Skim Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
  • shaunea0
    Options
    I like celery with fat free peanut butter, or apple slices with fat free peanut butter.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    protein shake, protein bar, and fruit, veggies and hummus, guacamole, salsa, greek yogurt, string cheese, nuts. This list goes on! I had breakfast before I left work work my mid morning snake today was a string cheese and greek yogurt. I had lunch already. My afternoon snack I have with me is a luna protein bar to hold me over until I get my kids get home and cook dinner. Good luck!!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Food

something you like to eat

make it fit your day
    bacon

Or Nutella!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Food

something you like to eat

make it fit your day
    bacon

Or Nutella!
    bacon dipped in nutella
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like walnuts or almonds. It takes the edge off.
  • Elvira2014
    Elvira2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been told a cheese stick and mini box of raisins. = @ 100 calories. Or exchange raisins for apple slices.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Two stalks of celery
    One tablespoon Wishbone Lite Parmesan Peppercorn Ranch (best lite ranch ever, tastes full-fat)

Total calories: 42
    Carbs: 3
    Fat: 3
    Protein: 1
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Whatever you do don't choose an apple...I did that last week and almot knawed off my husbands arm when I walked through the door at 5pm cause I couldn't wait to eat.

Thank you! I thought it was just me. Apples make me hungrier!!
  • LannyM74
    LannyM74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Might seem odd...but I freeze grapes and use them for my snack. I love them frozen! They don't become solid little balls like ice cubes...they become more like a hard ice cream. Takes me longer to eat them and it seems like more of a 'frozen treat'.
  • bijouchocolat
    bijouchocolat Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    plain greek yogurt - somewhat frozen with fresh cut strawberries on top. delicious!!
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    I like celery with fat free peanut butter, or apple slices with fat free peanut butter.
    FAT FREE PEANUT BUTTER? NO NO NO NO NO you should be ashamed of yourself
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    FAT FREE PEANUT BUTTER? NO NO NO NO NO you should be ashamed of yourself

Agreed!
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I work in an chilly office so I hate to eat anything cold at work.

I often have a 1/3rd cup of instant oats and mix in sugar free pudding mix for thickness and then some berries, banana or apple (you can even chop the apple and microwave for 3-4 minutes to soften the apples) - Caramel pudding with apples is my favorite :) or Chocolate and raspberries :) -

Also a microwave a small sweet potato and add diced chicken and salsa for a more savory and really filling low calorie mini meal (1 small sweet potato 100 cals and 4 oz of chicken 120 cals)
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Quest bars or greek yogurt with fruit and granola!
  • DesiraeDoll11
    Options
    I enjoy:

1 Avocado
    any kind of nuts
    carrots
    celery
    small smoothie (no added sugar, all natural)
    wheat thins with low fat cream cheese
    cottage cheese
    any kind of fruit

ummm....I think that's pretty much the snacks I enjoy. Hope it helps!