Calorie Adjustment from Fitbit Steps

Options
cchick22
cchick22 Posts: 1 Member
I can see steps from the Fitbit in MFP, so they are syncing. But they are not added to my exercise, and the calories burned are not being applied to my calorie allotment. I'm so frustrated, why is this so hard? I've seen other questions about this from several years ago, but the fixes don't work.

All I want is to have calories burned from steps added to my calories for the day. I used to be able to do that with no problem.

Tagged:

Answers

• NedStarksHat
    NedStarksHat Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Steps don't automatically mean more calories are added to your allotment. They are only added when the projected calories for the day goes higher than whatever calorie amount myfitnesspal has determined that you will probably burn.

In other words, if myfitnesspal has caluculated that you will burn 2500 during the course of your day, you won't get any more added until you have enough calories burned (according to fitbit) that would likely cause you to go over the 2500 by the end of the day.

I hope that makes some sense!

Also, regular steps aren't added to exercise.
  • vanstonedavid
    vanstonedavid Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Steps don't automatically mean more calories are added to your allotment. They are only added when the projected calories for the day goes higher than whatever calorie amount myfitnesspal has determined that you will probably burn.

In other words, if myfitnesspal has caluculated that you will burn 2500 during the course of your day, you won't get any more added until you have enough calories burned (according to fitbit) that would likely cause you to go over the 2500 by the end of the day.

I hope that makes some sense!

Also, regular steps aren't added to exercise.

Any idea what is wrong here then?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10855266/why-is-my-friends-mfp-adding-steps-calories-and-mine-isnt#latest

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    cchick22 wrote: »
    I can see steps from the Fitbit in MFP, so they are syncing. But they are not added to my exercise, and the calories burned are not being applied to my calorie allotment. I'm so frustrated, why is this so hard? I've seen other questions about this from several years ago, but the fixes don't work.

All I want is to have calories burned from steps added to my calories for the day. I used to be able to do that with no problem.

These devices don't give you additional calories specifically for steps or exercise. They send over a reconciling calorie adjustment. That adjustment will depend on what your activity level is set to in MFP vs your actual activity per your device. Every level of activity in MFP accounts for some movement...even a sedentary setting accounts for somewhere between 3000-5000 steps worth of movement. If it just synced over every calorie per a given activity, you would end up double dipping.
This discussion has been closed.