Is it ok to get most of your protein from protein shakes

I’m just about to start lifting. I estimate that my normal protein intake is about 45grams a day. My goal now is about 105g (I'm a 145lbs woman). Would it be ok to add like to 30g protein shakes daily to reach my goal? That seems to easy….

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Could you have an overall healthy diet including two protein shakes?
    - Yes.
    Could you have an overall unhealthy diet while including two protein shakes?
    - Also yes.

It might not be the optimal nutritional choice to hit a sensible protein target but at least you are addressing a clear problem with your macro nutrients. Other protein sources might come with a different variety of useful micro nutrients of course.

"OK" is normally good enough for most people's purposes, few need optimal.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Why do you want to eat 105lbs protein? I mean, it might be fine for you, but it does sound very high.
  • DonovanJM
    DonovanJM Posts: 15 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Why do you want to eat 105lbs protein? I mean, it might be fine for you, but it does sound very high.

0.6 to 0.8g of protein per ilb of lean body mass is the common range for people lifting and wanting to gain muscle.
  • DonovanJM
    DonovanJM Posts: 15 Member
    I’m just about to start lifting. I estimate that my normal protein intake is about 45grams a day. My goal now is about 105g (I'm a 145lbs woman). Would it be ok to add like to 30g protein shakes daily to reach my goal? That seems to easy….

Like has been said it depends on the rest of your food. I don't think one 30 gram shake a day will hurt by itself.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I figure traditional food is better than supplements, as a generality. (It's been tested by natural selection over centuries/millennia, and all that.) But supplements are better than sub-par nutrition, in a lot of cases, and IMO protein is one of those cases.

Maybe add the protein powder, but keep working on improving nutrition in your food, alongside? Extra protein won't hurt a healthy person.

One question: Are you trying to lose weight, i.e., eating at a calorie deficit? If so, how fast are you trying to lose? (Sometimes people cut calories deeply, really too deeply if they don't have much weight to lose but are impatient, and that makes it hard to get reasonable nutrition. Losing too fast is going to limit your strength training outcomes, realistically, if that's what's happening. At 145 pounds, unless you're very petite in stature, losing half a pound a week might be a reasonable target, if wanting to gain strength/muscle alongside.)

For ideas about foods that might help you increase protein, this thread is great:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It for sure helped me, even as a vegetarian: I just needed to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy top of the list to find more plant sources. Gradually, I was able to hit the 0.6-0.8g protein daily per pound of healthy body weight, am at 100g minimum now in maintenance at mid-120s pounds, usually exceeding that protein goal.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member

Yes you can - eating real food is better. 105 gm protein is not high- it is OK I would bring it up a bit if you are lifting seriously. Start the day with some eggs - a protein shake peri / post training is good
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I think food sources are always better than supplements but if the rest of your diet is overall healthy I'm sure you'll be fine...
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Most days 80-120g of my protein comes
    From a protein powder, it’s cheap and convenient
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    I've had two scoops (60g) of whey powder daily for the last five years, current macro target 140g, with good results and no problems. But also no intolerances or philosophical restrictions to regular dairy and with a healthy mix of meat, eggs and fish protein. Importantly I can't stand skim milk or whey mixed straight with water for bloating and gas, but even 1pc milk or soy or almond milks are fine, as are mixing whey with nonfat yogurt or into morning oatmeal porridge. (I sometimes suspect mixing with zero-fat milk is the source of other people's digestive trouble.) I often blend berries, bananas, peanut butter, etc.

I generally add 5g of creatine monohydrate and try to keep hydrated, again individual tolerances and benefits might vary. My suggestion is start with one scoop, pay attention to what it's mixed with, and develop a personal comfort level.