How do I do this?

Options
So I am still loosing weight and inches so that is great. However, every once in a while I get the urge to want to eat healthier, for example eat more vegetables and fruit. I start out with good intentions but can never keep up with it. I mean it only last like a day or two at the most. I am a very very very picky eater but I really do want to start eating healthier but I just cannot make vegetables stick. The ones I can tolerate/like I only like raw. I have found very few vegetables that I like cooked in any way. I have tried dips and dressings to help make me like them but it really doesn't do anything to make me stick with it. The taste and/or texture of them just doesn't stick well with me.

Can anyone please give me some suggestions as to what I can do to stay on the healthy food track? I will list below the vegetables I like/tolerate...remember pretty much all of the vegetables are only tolerable if the are not cooked.

Vegetables: Corn (on the cob only and grilled/roasted), celery (plain or with dip), baby spinach leaves (i use these in salads instead of lettuce. I don't like lettuce), carrots (not baby carrots) plain or with dip, potatoes (I like baked, roasted red skin, fries, hasbrowns, mashed, pretty much anything but scalloped or boiled), pickles, green peppers, and some time cauliflower with catalina dressing.

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I see you like raw carrots...if you like spaghetti sauce, make a batch and eat it on a bed of julienned raw carrots. I like to make a bed of raw carrots and zucchini and pour my sauce on top. Super yummy :)

Just keep experimenting and I'm sure you're list of likes will expand!
  • jess_erin
    jess_erin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Stick with what you like and how you like it..... If you don't like vegetables cooked just have a portion of raw veggies with your meal, there's nothing wrong with that.
    Do you like smothies? If so, throw some spinach in there.... you wont even taste it.
  • chwillia1
    chwillia1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So you like grilled corn I see. How many veggies have you tried grilled? I regularly grill zuchinni, acorn squash, mushrooms, potatoes, peppers, onions, corn, brussell sprouts, garlic, and I'm sure more that I can't think of quickly. Try grilling and use veggie grilling spices.
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    maybe try a green juice? It's yummy and easy to digest

I usually put: kale, spinach, celery, cucumber, green apple, maybe some pine apple or other sweeter fruit if on hand.

good luck!
  • ashowers36
    ashowers36 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do love onions both raw and cooked. I don't like tomatoes so things like spaghetti sauce and ketchup, and pizza sauce don't get eaten. In fact my local pizza places doesn't even ask my name anymore because when i order a pizza it is always "extra extra light on the sauce, hardly any at all" so they always know who the order is for even if i'm not the one placing the order. LOL. I have also tried zucchini, and asparagus, and summer squash but none of those are tolerable for me. I have also tried broccoli but it is too bitter (this seems to be the problem with most of the vegetables i have tried in my life with the exception of baby carrots. Those things are too sweet). Cucumbers are kind of in the same boat as lettuce for me. They have no real flavor and the texture is just not right.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    The good news is you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

Small sustainable changes.

When inspirations strikes people revamp their whole lives. The only problem being is when stress comes along (and it always does), we revert to comfortable familiar behaviors.
    Change a couple of small things until they become habit.
    Once they are habit, it's automatic, and you don't have to think about it any more.
    Then it's time to make another couple of small changes.

Rather than having to think about everything all the time. You only have to think about a 2 or 3 new things.
    In the meanwhile your old habits still provide a bit of comfort and security. Down the road your new habits will become your old habits and they will provide a sense of comfort and security.

++Only worry about it 1 lb at a time.
    Forget I *NEED* to lose 20, 30, 50, 100 lbs. I'm only worried about 1 lb the next one. I'll worry about the others later.
    Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. )
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Maybe try veggies with similar textures to the ones you already like. There are yellow carrots, sweet potatoes or red potatoes, mixed greens that are mostly spinach, etc.

Reward yourself for the veggies you do eat and just keep trying new stuff.

Good luck!