Canned spinach?

iwannawearatutu
iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone have some good, tried-and-true recipes for canned spinach? We seem to have ended up with something of an overabundance of it, and I'm not sure what to make with it. Needs to keep ok, since whatever I make my sweetie will probably not eat.

And yes, I know fresh is healthier, but I've got it so I may as well use it :)

Replies

• ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Yup! Bring it to my house...I'll help you eat it! : ):laugh:
  • jojospaghettio
    jojospaghettio Posts: 62 Member
    I can't remember my exact recipe, but I've mixed spinach (frozen, but canned will work too) with canned artichokes and fat free cream cheese to make a dip to put on crackers or veggies. You can also add in some garlic powder and/or sun dried tomatoes. Play with it a little.

Also, you could make a veggie pizza! Top it with the spinach, some artichokes, diced tomatoes, minced garlic, olives, oregano, basil, and light sprinkle of some low-fat cheese.

Hope these help!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Maybe try putting it in soup? I don't know, canned spinach has a very weird texture, I would donate it.....
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    :sick: , I hate spinach..but my daughter loves it and you can add the canned spinach to a warm chicken salad, she also will throw it into a stir fry..hope I helped,
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    You could puree it and add it to any meat dishes you have, or even if you find a healthy brownie recipe and have to have sweets then add some of the puree to the mix and after its baked and cooled you won't even taste the spinach.

My boyfriend just heats it, pours vinegar over it, and eats it.

One of my favorites it take crescent rolls, roll them out, add spinach, a bit of cheese, a lunch meat (like lean turkey or roast beef is my fave) mix the ingredients with something that will hold them together. I use a tad bit of olive oil mayo. Spoon the mix out onto the rolls and fold them over, making sure the mixture is tucked in good. Then just brown them in the oven. I remember that recipe from a site and have been using it for a while. It can get a bit fattening so be wary of portion control. XD

It's good with scrambled egg and cheese mixed all together.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 376 Member
    vegetable soup---that's all I can stand it in. But I can't even taste it in there! Popeye I am not!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    You would use it in a pesto...
    Drain it really really good - some EVOO, S&P, garlic, toasted walnuts, basil, Parm Cheese.....
    You'd use less oil than normal due to the higher water content.....
    Just a thought. (I had pesto for dinner - ha)
This discussion has been closed.