Goal Weight Reached But Now I Want to Get Ripped

Options
I was at 405 pounds in February 2012. I made a decision to lose weight. I'm 39 years old, male, 6-0 in height. I set my goal weight at 200 pounds which I have now reached. I have been lifting weights for about a year now. I also do lost of walking and do lap swim each weekday. I have been building more muscle but I still have a little bit of a belly (waist at 38 inches) and I want to get more muscles. I was lifting about 3 sets of 10-15 reps but now that I am around my goal weight, I want to build more muscle. I read about doing higher weights and lower reps to build more muscle with maybe 3-4 sets of around 8-10 reps. I lift six days a week (alternate muscle groups with rest days) and do lap swim and walking for cardio. I have some muscle definition now in my arms and I can do some more pec-popping but I really want to get more ripped.

For diet, I eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. I take a daily multi-vitamin and that's eat with no other supplements. I don't want to do any protein shakes or supplements.

Does anyone have advice on lifting to get more ripped and tighten up some loose skin? For my height at 6-0, I think 190-200 pounds is good. I would like to get a physique like Christian Bale in the Batman movies. He is around my age and height. I'm not looking to go into body building. I just want to have a more athletic build.

Here is a comparison pic of me at 247 pounds and at 205 pounds without my shirt. I know I need to lose more around my waist and build up my arms and chest.

28whu07.jpg

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am unqualified to give you the advice you are seeking, but I wanted to give you a high five on your progress to this point. Well done!
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have friends that lift weights and they all say low weights lots of reps and they are all ripped
  • harriethayes
    harriethayes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know im a girl so you may not take my advice that seriously but i've been steadily gaining muscle tone for the last few months purely from weights with the occasional spin class.

I do supersets daily so one day ill do shoulders and that will involve 6-8 exercises with each one having 4 sets of 12-15 reps and i use a weight where i can only just finish the fourth set. Then the next day ill do another body part etc. This way it gives that area time to recover and build up before you work it again.

If you're trying to get a good old six pack going then you need to get your body fat percentage down to below 15, you have obviously lost a lot of weight but at the moment you probably will need to incorporate some cardio into your workouts as well to strip the last bits of fat. Running, spinning, cycling, rowing... anything that will burn fat fast!

Id massively suggest going to the gym and asking them to build up a plan for you in terms of which exercises you want and how hard you're willing to train.

If you want it enough then you WILL get there! :)
  • CaptainWillard
    CaptainWillard Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your progress, 200lb is amazing! As for the training, If I were you I would not buy too much into the idea that you need to either lift heavy with low reps, or lighter with higher reps. IMO, you should incorporate both approaches into your training, with the goal of progressively adding volume (weight*reps) over time. Higher reps with shorter rest intervals will definitely help you burn more fat and improve your overall conditioning. Heavier weight, especially on the big compound movements will stimulate growth throughout the body. Having this kind of flexibility in your training will also help you avoid and work around injuries, and allow you to stay productive in the gym even on days when you're just not feeling it. Everyone is likely to have a different opinion, but this is what works for me.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Consider looking into the Stronglifts 5x5 program. It's a simple, free program involving some of the most effective compound lifts (squat, deadlift, bent row, overhead press and bench press). It's a good place to start if you are new to weight lifting since it's only two workout routines and only three workouts a week. I've been doing it for about a month, and I have already noticed some upper body muscle growth (I already have fairly massive legs from years of football). You can find the description on the forums (just search "Stronglifts 5x5") or through google since the program is free. The guy who runs the stronglifts website is a tool, but the program is good.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    two words - compound lifts...

get familiar with squats, deadlifts, over head press, pull ups, chin ups, bench press...learn these moves and then incorporate them into a weekly routine. You could do an upper/lower split with some cardio on Wednesday and then Saturday off and make walk/swim on Sunday or something like that ...

Not sure what your current calorie deficit is, but you should probably set it at about 500 calorie deficit a week and go from there..
  • narya12
    narya12 Posts: 9
    Options
    I know im a girl so you may not take my advice that seriously

What??
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have friends that lift weights and they all say low weights lots of reps and they are all ripped

Really?!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

Is your friend Spongebob and does he have inflatable arms?
  • kishstl
    kishstl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Feel free to contact me if you like and I would be happy to help you put together a routine. there are certain things to take into consideration before recommending a routine. (medical limitations, type of facility you'll be using, nutrition, supplementation,etc.)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    two words - compound lifts...

get familiar with squats, deadlifts, over head press, pull ups, chin ups, bench press...learn these moves and then incorporate them into a weekly routine. You could do an upper/lower split with some cardio on Wednesday and then Saturday off and make walk/swim on Sunday or something like that ...

Not sure what your current calorie deficit is, but you should probably set it at about 500 calorie deficit a week and go from there..

Good stuff here. Also, take a look at some books for programs: "Strong Lifts 5 x 5," "Starting Strength," "The New Rules of Lifting" and even Wendler's "5/3/1," though that last one is aimed more at experienced lifters.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Not this.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Getting ripped is all about body fat, not building muscle. To get ripped you need to get your body fat down around 10% (or less.)

The loose skin is the bigger problem, lifting weights can help with that, but depending on how much skin there is, you may need to look into surgery to get it removed.

As for lifting, go with big compound lifts. Heavy weight, lower reps. Based on your starting weight, you have a high degree of muscle mass already, so the focus should be more on retaining that while lowering body fat.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Not this.
    Agreed. You want to overload the muscles, rather than fatigue them.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Testosterone promotes muscle growth. Belly fat reduces testosterone.
    Lose the belly fat, and lift heavy.
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Not this.

Isn't it low rep ranges of 5-6 to build mass, but 10-12 for muscle hypertrophy.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Not this.

Actually low rep ranges for strength... yes to the hypertrophy. But when people say lots of high reps people grab the little dumbbells and do sets of 20-30, which isn't going to build appreciable size. So I guess it's all relative. "Lots of reps" isn't clear. I was being facetious with my first comment.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    looks like you got the loose skin issue my friend, or will. if you find a way to deal with that without surgery, i'd like to know how.
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Not this.

Actually low rep ranges for strength... yes to the hypertrophy. But when people say lots of high reps people grab the little dumbbells and do sets of 20-30, which isn't going to build appreciable size. So I guess it's all relative. "Lots of reps" isn't clear. I was being facetious with my first comment.

I'm mirin your legs/ high kick
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    The reason for lifting heavy, low reps high sets, is due to trying to retain muscle and strength... Doing high reps forever to get cut, sure your muscles will be endured, but you will lose a @#$% ton of strength.

Good luck, and make sure the weight loss is slow so that your skin can adapt to the weight loss :) good luck