Mixed food advice

Options
I'm female, 112lbs, 5'3", 26 years old. Dieted my way down from 179lbs without exercise (supervised by a doctor). Ate low low calories which I didn't know until I started maintaining in June of this year and decided to start calories. (My food was just weighed before, no calorie equivalent)

June started I was 115.5 by the end of the diet program, I wanted to lose some more and I did, 112lbs as of this morning. Started counting calories and in June, I started exercising everyday but just doing squat challenges and crunches (which I'm sure weren't really in perfect form) but I tried. Lol July, I did more challenges. Aside from the squats (which I added 8lb weights, not much I know but it was a start) and crunches, added bridges, lunges, leg raises, planks, push-ups (knee ones only!). These were 30 day challenges and in August, I changed my routine and just treadmill twice a week for an hour, or once a week for an hour and do a cardio dvd at home like hiphop abs total body burn, cardio or 30 day shred. I've also tried light yoga and pilates this month as well. I know these do not burn much calories but at least I'm moving around! Lol

Been eating at 1,290 cals and I've lost weight! Although there are days that I'm under 1,290 and days when I'm over. That's okay, right? I think I want to stop losing weight now and just maintain so I'm trying to up my calories and I've added 100calories this week. I've been thinking about lifting too but realized I'd have to eat more.

So my problem is, I can only go to the gym twice a week (to lift.. well, try) I have no equipment at home which is heavier than 8lbs. T-TH is usually those days I do cardio as well for an hour, can I do some light lifting afterwards? are two days of working out enough to maintain?

Also, with food... I've seen contradicting advice regarding pre-workout and post-workout meals

Does it really matter if I eat before a cardio session of like walk-run-walk-run for like an hour? The machine says I burn around 300. I know it's not like what others burn at the gym, I always see people logging 500, 700. Very intimidating. Lol but it gets my heart rate up though! That's okay for maintenance, right?

Should I eat carbs on workout days?eat before the workout? I usually just have coffee. Also, should I eat protein right away? Some people said i'd have to wait 90 mins to eat carbs and within 30 mins of workout to eat protein. Should carbs be completely eliminated on workout days? Low fat? What if I start light lifting? Or is it really just cals in, cals out?

What do you guys eat after a workout?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm female, 112lbs, 5'3", 26 years old. Dieted my way down from 179lbs without exercise (supervised by a doctor). Ate low low calories which I didn't know until I started maintaining in June of this year and decided to start calories. (My food was just weighed before, no calorie equivalent)

June started I was 115.5 by the end of the diet program, I wanted to lose some more and I did, 112lbs as of this morning. Started counting calories and in June, I started exercising everyday but just doing squat challenges and crunches (which I'm sure weren't really in perfect form) but I tried. Lol July, I did more challenges. Aside from the squats (which I added 8lb weights, not much I know but it was a start) and crunches, added bridges, lunges, leg raises, planks, push-ups (knee ones only!). These were 30 day challenges and in August, I changed my routine and just treadmill twice a week for an hour, or once a week for an hour and do a cardio dvd at home like hiphop abs total body burn, cardio or 30 day shred. I've also tried light yoga and pilates this month as well. I know these do not burn much calories but at least I'm moving around! Lol

Been eating at 1,290 cals and I've lost weight! Although there are days that I'm under 1,290 and days when I'm over. That's okay, right? I think I want to stop losing weight now and just maintain so I'm trying to up my calories and I've added 100calories this week. I've been thinking about lifting too but realized I'd have to eat more.

So my problem is, I can only go to the gym twice a week (to lift.. well, try) I have no equipment at home which is heavier than 8lbs. T-TH is usually those days I do cardio as well for an hour, can I do some light lifting afterwards? are two days of working out enough to maintain?

Also, with food... I've seen contradicting advice regarding pre-workout and post-workout meals

Does it really matter if I eat before a cardio session of like walk-run-walk-run for like an hour? The machine says I burn around 300. I know it's not like what others burn at the gym, I always see people logging 500, 700. Very intimidating. Lol but it gets my heart rate up though! That's okay for maintenance, right?

Should I eat carbs on workout days?eat before the workout? I usually just have coffee. Also, should I eat protein right away? Some people said i'd have to wait 90 mins to eat carbs and within 30 mins of workout to eat protein. Should carbs be completely eliminated on workout days? Low fat? What if I start light lifting? Or is it really just cals in, cals out?

Nutrient timing isn't as important as some might lead you to beleive. Play around with things see what causes you to have the best workout
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's good that you have added exercise and good that you are mixing it up. Cardio and strength training are both important for health and help with weight management.

You could continue bodyweight exercises (pushups, squats, lunges, dip, etc.) at home on days you can't make it to the gym. You can add weight with items found around your home. Put cans or bottles or books in a backpack. Hold a 20 lb bag of dog food or jugs of water. Whatever you have available.

As for food, what is most important is your overall diet. Eat enough caloires. Meet your macronutrient goals. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables to ensure you get enough micronutrients. When you eat is less important. There is an advantage to consuming easily absorbed protein shortly after strength training, but it's not a must. You can still increase strength and maintain muscle if you don't eat till later.

It sounds like you are doing well. Good luck!
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options

Nutrient timing isn't as important as some might lead you to beleive. Play around with things see what causes you to have the best workout

Okay, noted! Thank you. :)
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    It's good that you have added exercise and good that you are mixing it up. Cardio and strength training are both important for health and help with weight management.

You could continue bodyweight exercises (pushups, squats, lunges, dip, etc.) at home on days you can't make it to the gym. You can add weight with items found around your home. Put cans or bottles or books in a backpack. Hold a 20 lb bag of dog food or jugs of water. Whatever you have available.

As for food, what is most important is your overall diet. Eat enough caloires. Meet your macronutrient goals. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables to ensure you get enough micronutrients. When you eat is less important. There is an advantage to consuming easily absorbed protein shortly after strength training, but it's not a must. You can still increase strength and maintain muscle if you don't eat till later.

It sounds like you are doing well. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I realized that exercise is important not just for losing weight but for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

What would you suggest with my macro percentage? Yeah, since I was on a low cal diet for months long I think my BMR has decreased. (I read this somewhere too) so now I don't know what my actual baseline for maintaining calories and dieting since what my diet did was not count calories but just weigh the food. Maintenance guidelines for the diet I was on told me to stay away from carbs and well I don't want that. Lol The whole as long it's within my calorie thing works for me but I don't know what my actual calorie intake should be so I just set it at the lowest point then working my way up to maintenance.
  • marilou0511
    marilou0511 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm female, 112lbs, 5'3", 26 years old. Dieted my way down from 179lbs without exercise (supervised by a doctor).

Hello from Chicago. Congratulations on your meeting your goal! Great job! I'm still soooo far away from my goal so can't offer you advice. I do both cardio and strength-resistance training each week. Started at 173.6 lbs Feb 2012. CW at 159 lbs, Healthy weight range is 94-120lbs for 5' height. It's so low that it seems impossible to achieve. You're an inspiration! (I set my ticker to halfway goal so I'm not overwhelmed) :flowerforyou: