Regain....confused and upset

Options
When I first started tracking my weight here a little over a month ago, I weighed in at 284 pounds. Two Wednesdays ago I had lost down to 275.6. Last Wednesday I weighed and the same scale said 276. I was a little concerned but not too upset because I knew I was retaining water. So I skipped logging that weight. This morning I expedted to jump on the scale and maybe be down 10 pounds to 274. Instead, it read 279.6. I am feeling devastated. I know that's a bit dramatic, but I swear this is totally unexpected. I went from being basically sedantary to getting at least an hour worth of exercise 6 days a week. I went from not tracking my food at all to staying under my daily calorie goal. I do still struggle with my macros for sugar and sodium, but it's been that way the whole time and I've been steadily loosing.

I did injure my knee last Satuday night dancing too much, but there's no way not working out quite as hard for the last 4 days has caused me to gain 4 pounds! Especially because I haven't been eating more! Yes I've started some weight training but I've only done it a couple of times so far and we're talking about 5 lb weights so I don't think it's muscle weight.

I know to expect plateaus, but gain??? I"m so confused and upset, anybody have any words of wisdom?

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates, I can be +/- 4 pounds every day!

Are you weighing yourself at the same time every day, and in the same clothes (or lack thereof)?
  • BlessedBe23
    BlessedBe23 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes, I only weigh once a week on Wednesday, on the scale at the gym at work. I always have on my regular work attire each time I weigh.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates, I can be +/- 4 pounds every day!

This. It's also only been a month. It takes time. Keep going.
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This is my weight loss (and gain/loss) over the past year. I had some problems come up in April that I'm just getting back under control. Anyway, it's a journey, not a sprint, **** happens, etc.

2q3n635.png

(Edited to fix picture)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My weight has fluctuated by more than 6 pounds in one day! Granted, that was extreme (dehydrated in the morning, then salty soup in the evening), but daily fluctuation is normal.

If you're weighing only once a week, you might just be unlucky that day. I actually weigh myself every day, but I use a spreadsheet to calculate the exponentially smoothed weighted average. That's a much more reliable way to track progress. If you're interested in trying it out, John Walker explains the process in "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/); see the chapter on "Signal and Noise."

Also, if you've started exercising after being sedentary, your body will retain more water, partly because your muscles are probably storing more glycogen, but also because they're inflamed due to the unaccustomed stress. That will go away with time.

In short, keep at it, and don't despair!
  • SassyMama5
    SassyMama5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Time of the month can also cause huge weight fluctuations(I sometimes see 10lbs increase)... just stick with it and you will see the weight come off.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates for a lot of reasons. Unless you ate 14,000 calories over your maintenance, you didn't gain a real 4 pounds.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This is my weight loss (and gain/loss) over the past year. I had some problems come up in April that I'm just getting back under control. Anyway, it's a journey, not a sprint, **** happens, etc.

2q3n635.png

(Edited to fix picture)

That's awesome thanx for sharin that .....:)....I've been pretty much the same, not sure of any increase as the scales I use have been out of order for 3 weeks now and I don't feel I've lost anymore however I have noticed some muscle definition in my legs, my waist and hips have lost an inch and I thought what the hell...something's going on so I'll see how it goes..

I think we spend to much time worrying and thinking about losing that we don't hear what our bodies are actually trying to tell us.....record everything and make a journal and enjoy the process.... :)
  • chrissyreneet
    chrissyreneet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This happened to me this week, too. According to the scale, I gained 1.8 lbs. Try taking measurements as well. My measurements showed I had lost 3 inches total despite a gain on the scale.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary for the past couple days and you're taking in a lot of sodium so it could be you're still retaining water.