Trying to get some muscle here :)

Options
I am so happy to learn about this forum! I was thinking mfp was only geared to those who are trying to lose weight, which I thought that's what I wanted, but in reality, it's muscle I want to gain, not just lose weight. I know that it takes muscle to burn calories and make the body look healthier and work better. I also understand that I will need to add weight, which some will be fat, to achieve this goal. As hard as it may be to wrap my mind around that fact, I am going to give it a try. Of course I will looking forward to the cutting phase to see all the hard work and beautiful new muscles that get uncovered :)

I look forward to reading more posts here and meeting new friends :)

Replies

• mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Glad to have you around, good luck!
  • harriethayes
    harriethayes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ditto! :)
    Yay for muscles!!
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Do a beginners strength program that focuses on compound lifts (such as squats, deadlifts, rows, bench, overhead presses) and has a defined progression scheme. It's not as hard as it sounds.

Stronglifts and Starting Strength are good programs. Those programs are designed to maximize strength gains for beginners. Beginners have the ability to build strength more rapidly than an person who has been training for a while. Don't screw around with isolation exercises such as curls until you have the compounds down.

Initially you should be able to gain muscle and drop fat while at maintenance or a slight deficit. After a few months though you will need to start cutting/bulking cycles.

Train like a man!
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of women here doing the same.
    It's not just for guys like me...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Enjoy eating ALL the food!!
  • soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Muscle building is so much fun. Muscle building = more food :)
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Muscle building is so much fun. Muscle building = more food :)
    Yeah and a much bigger grocery bill :grumble:
  • fitcolette
    Options
    Do a beginners strength program that focuses on compound lifts (such as squats, deadlifts, rows, bench, overhead presses) and has a defined progression scheme. It's not as hard as it sounds.

Stronglifts and Starting Strength are good programs. Those programs are designed to maximize strength gains for beginners. Beginners have the ability to build strength more rapidly than an person who has been training for a while. Don't screw around with isolation exercises such as curls until you have the compounds down.

Initially you should be able to gain muscle and drop fat while at maintenance or a slight deficit. After a few months though you will need to start cutting/bulking cycles.

Train like a man!

Awesome advice!! Thanks!!!!
  • fitcolette
    Options
    More food = yummmmmm

Bigger grocery bill = :sad:
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Muscles rock! :flowerforyou:
  • fitcolette
    Options
    Muscles rock! :flowerforyou:

It does, and so does your avatar pic!!
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm working on the same goals! Feel free to send me a friend request, if you'd like!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Hehe think of it, depression from the higher grocery bill = more eating to soothe.. More eating = higher bill.. it's a vicious cycle:frown:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    lets get muscles
  • dasch4
    dasch4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just remember it is not just about what you eat, it is also about when you eat it. If you are looking to maximize your performance and muscle growth after workouts, you will need to set up a training bubble. Carbs fuel the machine, Protein builds the machine and fat lubricates the machine. remember these basic rules and apply them to your training.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Just remember it is not just about what you eat, it is also about when you eat it. If you are looking to maximize your performance and muscle growth after workouts, you will need to set up a training bubble. Carbs fuel the machine, Protein builds the machine and fat lubricates the machine. remember these basic rules and apply them to your training.

Nope not really... it doesn't matter what you eat, or when you eat it... Only how much you eat..
  • TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Strong broscience. Meal timing doesn't matter.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Good luck. This new board should be a great resource for you.
  • fitcolette
    Options
    Carbs fuel the machine, Protein builds the machine and fat lubricates the machine. remember these basic rules and apply them to your training.

I love this!!