When does it become the "norm"

I get tired of tracking all my calories and exercise. I get tired of being "good" and not eating pure crap. I constantly hear oatmeal raisin cookies, red wine and butter chicken calling my name. Sometimes I want to forget about exercise for a while.

Is there a point where "lifestyle change" ends and the new lifestyle is "normal". I'm not starving or burnt out. I just have passed the "honeymoon" novelty stage of being healthier and need some longer term motivation. Maybe I don't want it badly enough. Or maybe I need to buy some electronics or a motorcycle or something.

Replies

• nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    For some people it becomes a lifestyle and "normal". For me... I think I'll always want to overindulge.

I know nothing is "off limits", but I do have to watch portions and frequency of the crazy foods... even to maintain. It's hard because I'm pretty sure I'll always prefer the double burger to the grilled chicken sandwich, the piece of cheesecake to a piece of fruit, the French fries to a baked sweet potato. And it's not even that I don't enjoy healthy foods... the "bad" stuff is just so satisfying and appealing.

It's a struggle. I realize now that it's something I'll have to be mindful of and work on forever. And that's OK.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,505 Member
    I think it probably varies from person to person, but you will get there faster if you don't restrict too much. I have finally reached the point where most "junk" food (quotations deliberate - I don't like to label foods good or bad) does not appeal to me as much as it used to. I also have a glass or two of wine every single night. I knew exercise had become part of my lifestyle when I drove to the gym in a major thunderstorm without a second thought because "it was time to go to the gym."

Don't be overly-restrictive with your diet. Find exercise you enjoy. And then just do it. Just like you get up for work every morning. Just like you pay your bills every month. Make it part of your life and then enjoy your success.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    If you want those items, work them into your calorie goals. Why restrict yourself? Weight loss is all about calorie deficit. If you're in a deficit, you'll lose weight. Eat the foods you like/love and you'll be happier.

If exercise seems like a chore, look for something that makes you more excited to do... like cycling, walking, hiking, sports, etc. It doesn't have to be treadmills or elipticals at gym. Get outdoors and enjoy some sunlight and nature or something! :)

Also, think positively. It REALLY helps.
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    I don't deprive myself. If it fits my macros and my cals, I eat it. You can't not eat "bad food" for the rest of your life -- we all cave to cravings or become bored and go back to our old ways. I also give myself a cheat meal/day every few weeks, they honestly keep me sane. To keep me accountable, I track them to the best of my ability.

For me, I eat a piece of a candy bar now -- or I'm going to be eating the whole thing later. That's my mindset. It has worked so far. I wish you luck!
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    For me (when I actually was active...long time ago) it was not changing what I ate or how I exercised, but came with a general change of my lifestyle - my daily routine which meant I'd eat "big" lunches and lighter stuff in the evening, transport (I used to take the bus/get lifts/drive everywhere but then I moved to a place where everyone was cycling so I just became "one of them"), living with a housemate who wasn't into cooking so food wasn't a big deal in our house, meeting people in the evenings which meant I wouldn't sit at home scoffing down food...

I think living your "normal" live and just changing food/exercising makes it very difficult to see the benefits, since it just seems more effort than it was before which is kind of frustrating.

Maybe you could try and meet new people who are very active (in fact, a friend of mine used to be quite big, then he joined a hiking club and really committed to it and now he's out hiking every weekend, and they're close friends of his now), or join a "cycle to work" scheme, take up a new hobby in the evenings and weekends that keeps you busy, join a dance club... it's exercise without slaving away in the gym!

Once you're at the point where you're just an "active person" it makes it a lot easier to stay healthy. I certainly didn't stay away from crisps or alcohol, but if you're active and eat well most of the time it's absolutely fine and normal to have red wine, butter chicken and cookies every once in a while, and you don't need to track every single thing you eat.

Hope that helps...
  • fletchj2
    fletchj2 Posts: 7 Member
    I've been doing this for 4 and a half months and it's habit now. Even when I don't log my food until the end of the day I am usually within a few hundred calories of my goal. I've started enjoying healthier snacks, and changed what I look for in a meal. I've also tried to never label things 'good' or 'bad.' I started MFP with a bag of M&Ms in the freezer and would snack on a small handful when I needed something sweet. I don't always deny myself sweets when people bring them into work, but I've started splitting it in half with someone else.

As for the workout stuff, I have an app called fitocracy that gives you points and badges for workouts. It's cute and user friendly with a nice little community too. Finding a way to make it fun is the little motivation I needed.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I learned early on, to make this sustainable I was going to have to change my relationship with food and not view it from an addictive mindset but from a moderation one... I had to practice abstinence from the start, trigger foods had to go until such a time that I could introduce those foods back into my daily meal plan in moderation... There is no reason to have to live without those foods that you enjoy and at some point you have to come to terms with this being a total lifestyle whether you call it a change or normal it has to be for the rest of your life. When you can finally commit to it with this mindset it all becomes second nature, you just live your life. But mind you, It never becomes easy, if it was easy no one would be overweight. But because you make it your life than there is no excuses anymore... You just live it.... Best of Luck....,
  • I binge now and then, lol what fun would life be if i didnt allow myself to indulge in my chocolate and wine fantasies once in awhile how can you truy enjoy your life if you constantly feel like your missing out on something? I dont see why you cant have those things, as long as your eating them in a proportional way whats the problem? :flowerforyou:
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    I agree that it may not become the norm for all people - I am living proof of that. I had maintained a weight loss of about 110-115 lounds for close to three years - I always was quite aware of my calories to maintain and I was able to do more and more mental tracking. If I had a bad weekend or week, I would write it down and get my head back into maintenance mode (and knock off that pound or two I put on very easily). Well almost at the 3 year maintenance mark, we had some life stresses and busyness. Somewhere in that time period I told myself that I was this weight and would always be, so I really let my guard down - I wasn't weighing myself weekly either. All of a sudden, I pulled on a pair of jeans one day and low and behold - too tight. I stepped on the scale and I was up 10 pounds. I kinda went into a sadness that I was a failure (and I was still dealing with some immediate family illnesses and deaths) so instead of grabbing the bull by the horns, I just wasn't eating healthily - low and behold another 10. So, I have caught it and I am now back in full swing of my exercise regime and healthy eating. I have lost 5 of it and another 15 to go. I think this was a good lesson for me - I have learned not to let my guard down and to make sure to enjoy life in moderation. So for me, I just don't know that it will ever be intuitive.