Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.
Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Auto update goal calories from Apple Health Resting Energy (or similar) + smartwatch

b1scu17
b1scu17 Posts: 1 Member
Over the last couple of weeks, I've been testing out the accuracy of Apple's "Resting Energy" in the Health app being read from my Apple Watch as well as having the app Gym Goal calculate calories when exercising.

Based on the experiment it all came very close to my maintenance calories per day and the Resting Energy works out very close to my actual resting metabolic rate (as close as one could expect from a consumer device). Close enough to be able to use it as a guideline to determine caloric deficit/surplus depending on the goal.

Looking at a weekly or monthly average Resting Energy on the Health app, I can see it increased bit by bit as I've been making progress in the gym and gained lean mass and adopt healthier habits.

Idea
MyFitnessPal can read the Active Energy from the Health app and add it to the "Exercise" section in the Diary.
What would be incredible is if MyFitnessPal can read and update the "Goal" calories from an average of the previous (x) days in Health.
This can be combined with a target goal set up in MyFitnessPal to then read as is, subtract or add calories to resting metabolic rate the Health app provides.

For example:
MyFitnessPal reads the last 7, 14, 30, etc. days' Resting Energy from the Health app (excluding the current day) and everyday the it updates the "Goal" calories according to the average Resting Energy of those days along and then alter it according to your target of losing, maintaining or gaining weight.

What this would allow is to not rely solely on just a RMR formula based on your stats to calculate resting metabolic rate + goal (deficit, maintain, surplus) calories but rather if you have a smartwatch, have it update according to how your smartwatch tracks your Resting Energy and this would include having it change dynamically and automatically over time as your progress or do things that affect your Resting Energy usage such as NEAT (Non-exercise activity thermogenesis) energy that a watch could detect to some extent but a formula cannot.

Because the formulas to calculate resting metabolic rate just uses "weight", it doesn't account for bodyfat percentage and therefor it often overestimates resting metabolic rate. If I measure my bodyfat and manually account for this in the calculations, the resulting resting metabolic rate and the smartwatch's tracked Resting Energy are extremely close to each other. I've always looked at Resting Energy of friends and family and calculated their RMR and they are very close to each other.
2 votes

Open for Voting · Last Updated