How much ml is 1 cup

Options
pensee_
pensee_ Posts: 2 Member
Hi
In many food items there is a quantity 1 cup. How much ml does it mean?

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,295 Member
    Options
    I would recommend ignoring the database entries that don't allow you to log in weight (grams) or metric volume (ml). Cups aren't accurate for solid foods anyway and there are many alternative database entries for many foods that allow you to log more accurately.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    One liquid cup is 8 ounces or 236.588 ML. In the US in particular, 1 cup is often used as a dry measure as well, using one of these...

dry_measuring_cups-jpg.jpg?sfvrsn=3

It is not particularly accurate for non-uniform solids...like what exactly would a cup of chicken look like? It would depend on how it was cut up and how much is stuffed in there. I do use measuring cups for dry goods that are for the most part uniform like rice or oats and stuff like that. It's not as accurate as using grams, but several grams here and there are pretty immaterial to my calorie targets so I just use my measuring cups or spoons for that kind of stuff. Your MMV depending on your calorie targets and how accurate you need or want to be.

I've never used ML for anything other than liquids and I use grams most of the time for weight...and like I said, dry measure cups for uniform grains and things of that nature.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,467 Member
    Options
    Use a Pyrex /glass measuring cup for liquids :)
This discussion has been closed.