Toning Arms - Any Advice?

Options
I know that it's not possible to "spot target" any particular part of my body- so generally I have been following the advice of lifting heavier weights, caloric defecit, etc. Generally trying to make good choices and mind my portions when that isn't an option. At my heaviest, almost 10 years ago, I was 210lbs, and I've now stagnated around 150 for a few years.

I have successfully put on muscle, which I'm very proud of, but truthfully I'm very insecure about the appearance of my arms when they're unflexed. The fat just completely pools down into these big soft bingo wings... it feels odd/mismatched compared with my fitness level. I've never really been able to reduce their size- but I admit I do struggle to stick to a consistent program for very long.

I'm getting married in September and dreading how my arms are going to look... Does anyone have any programs/ advice I can follow? I am managing my expectations and trying to be realistic about what I can achieve by my wedding day.

Photos attached:

7qqtnzxlsv9o.png

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    Muscle also hangs, not just fat. In there is also your triceps! Try to pinch what's hanging down when tightening your triceps and then you can feel what's muscle and what's not.
    We are our own worst enemy sometimes, hyperfocused on 'flaws' that are just normal and/or no one else will notice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    That looks like a pretty normal arm.

What does your current program look like?
  • vpeaches
    vpeaches Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    That looks like a pretty normal arm.

What does your current program look like?

Well that's quite reassuring! lol. I suppose it's hard to tell from the angle I posted, but when I pinch, here's an approximation of what part of my arm contains no muscle and is purely fat hanging down.
    53p01cqwu5ud.png

My current program consists of 40 minutes of HIIT once a week, and 30-40 minute sessions of weight training once a week (sometimes twice when I have the time). Depending on the week I work push muscles or pull muscles.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would do a minimum of 2x per week in the weight room with a full body program...ideally, you want to be hitting every muscle group twice per week. As it is, with a push-pull you're not even hitting every muscle group once per week...Depending on what you're doing, you're only hitting every major muscle group once every other week which is way, way, way over on the suboptimal spectrum and that stimulus really isn't going to drive anything. If you really don't have the time, a full body program 1x per week would be far better than doing any kind of push/pull split. Push Pull splits are typically done 4x per week to optimize hitting all of those muscle groups twice per week.

Full body programs are typically 2-3x per week...mine takes me about 40-45 minutes per session depending on whether or not I have to wait for equipment. I typically run mine 2x per week...3x if I have time, but that usually comes down to a choice between hitting the weight room or mountain biking on the weekend and I tend towards mountain biking if it's nice out.

This is my program that I worked out with my friend who used to train me...it's pretty basic full body without much fluff or isolation work as I am limited to my lunch break 2x per week and I don't really have any particular goals of being a bodybuilder or powerlifter or underwear model or anything like that. This just keeps my muscles in good shape and keeps me in good functional strength for a guy pushing 48.

Workout A:
    Deadlift – 5x5
    Leg Press - 4x8-10
    Incline Bench - 4x10-12
    Cable Rows - 4x10-12
    Arnold Press - 4x8-10

Workout B:
    Squat - 5x5
    RDL - 4x10-12
    DB Bench - 4x8-10
    Lat Pulls - 4x10-12
    Arnold Press - 4x8-10

My wife lifts once per week with her trainer and does full body...and while that is not optimal for hitting everything 2x per week, she primarily is a runner and lifts for some cross train...but she's still developed a pretty solid physique over the last few years.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Another perspective - on your wedding day, I can just about promise you that 99.99999% of people are going to be in awe of how beautiful & happy you look (that teeny-tiny percent that I left out are the dates of guests who are just wondering when the food will be served!). ZERO people are going to be looking critically at your "bingo wings," no matter how bad you think they are. And YOU will be so wrapped up in everything that is going on and so elated that I would be willing to bet you won't even think about your arms either.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Happy wedding!!!

If it helps,even though the bicep usually gets more attention, the tricep is the larger muscle group of the upper arm and it's comprised of 3 parts. Different exercises will work the tricep from different angles and change how it's shaped.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 always gives great functional advice. He outlined a great plan.
  • vpeaches
    vpeaches Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would do a minimum of 2x per week in the weight room with a full body program...ideally, you want to be hitting every muscle group twice per week. As it is, with a push-pull you're not even hitting every muscle group once per week...Depending on what you're doing, you're only hitting every major muscle group once every other week which is way, way, way over on the suboptimal spectrum and that stimulus really isn't going to drive anything. If you really don't have the time, a full body program 1x per week would be far better than doing any kind of push/pull split. Push Pull splits are typically done 4x per week to optimize hitting all of those muscle groups twice per week.

Full body programs are typically 2-3x per week...mine takes me about 40-45 minutes per session depending on whether or not I have to wait for equipment. I typically run mine 2x per week...3x if I have time, but that usually comes down to a choice between hitting the weight room or mountain biking on the weekend and I tend towards mountain biking if it's nice out.

This is my program that I worked out with my friend who used to train me...it's pretty basic full body without much fluff or isolation work as I am limited to my lunch break 2x per week and I don't really have any particular goals of being a bodybuilder or powerlifter or underwear model or anything like that. This just keeps my muscles in good shape and keeps me in good functional strength for a guy pushing 48.

Workout A:
    Deadlift – 5x5
    Leg Press - 4x8-10
    Incline Bench - 4x10-12
    Cable Rows - 4x10-12
    Arnold Press - 4x8-10

Workout B:
    Squat - 5x5
    RDL - 4x10-12
    DB Bench - 4x8-10
    Lat Pulls - 4x10-12
    Arnold Press - 4x8-10

My wife lifts once per week with her trainer and does full body...and while that is not optimal for hitting everything 2x per week, she primarily is a runner and lifts for some cross train...but she's still developed a pretty solid physique over the last few years.

Wow, awesome! Thank you for such a thorough response, and even taking the time to include a program I can try. I really do appreciate it!
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Your arms look fine to me, but anyway, you can't tighten skin by any amount of weight lifting. It will either shrink back as you lose weight, if thats what you are doing, or it won't. If not, you could try cosmetic treatments which increase the collogen in your skin and tighten it up (RF Microneedling etc.) There is also surgery, but you certainly dont need that.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    That's not so much a fat problem as a loose skin problem, and many, many, many women have the same thing.

Just get yourself as healthy as possible and you will look great and glowing on your wedding day.

Maybe try not to put so much pressure on yourself to look a certain way for that one day. Try to focus on going into your marriage as healthy as you can.

I got married in the middle of my weightloss journey, and I actually love that I look and feel better now than I did on my wedding day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    The hang can be from loose skin and still some fat. People are predisposed to where they store it and lose it last and you may just be one of those who hold it in their arms. You can just try to lose more on either a lower calorie diet or increasing your overall burn so your calorie deficit is higher. But remember that losing body fat is systematic and you lose it all over. So you might end up leaner everywhere else as well and still have it looking like your arms aren't losing fat even if they are.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png