General Guidelines for Eating Out

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Always remember the first rule of etiquette: ladies first.
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    ec6f2d32df5811e29cee22000aa803c7_6.jpg

I hear baby wipes work well for this

Yeah, now that I have a beard this could be an issue.

Here, let me get that for you..
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Train dirty, eat clean.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out, but I will not share tips with strangers.

3pchtl.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Do it as often as possible, but food can be messy.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    shower first
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I spray Windex on my leftover food so I don't sit there and nibble...kidding....but seriously, this might work?!
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I try to find things that are as similar as possible and then hope for the best. We're going out tonight and there's a dish with jalapeno cornbread that I'm dying to have, but I'm wondering if the rest of the dish is worth it. (Center-cut pork chop, cheesy grilled corn, which... what is that, even?)
  • fineshrine
    Options
    i check nutrition facts and usually split a meal with my bf. saves money plus the meals are enough for 2-3 people anyway :/
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who finds eating a burger with no bun kind of depressing?

When I go to restaurants I usually get what I want, but try to be cognizant of portion sizes rather than just go to town. My husband and I will often have apps and then split an entree at places where the portions are big. I rarely order dessert.

I do my best to log the meal and rarely feel guilty because I know I can eat less the next day to compensate.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    What do I do? I never default to a salad....ever.

tumblr_m2lkk10j741qm98z0.gif

product-preview-adult-salad-large.gif
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,711 Member
    Options
    I eat out two or three nights a week. I do a big cardio workout beforehand to make room to have whatever I want. Though I do try to stick to lean protein and veg. My last restaurant meal, i was served two duck breasts (with skin) with puy lentils and blackcurrant and wine sauce. I took home half of the duck and and lentils for lunch the next day.
  • healthyandfitgirl14
    healthyandfitgirl14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out, but I will not share tips with strangers.

Well I mean you are what you eat, right?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who finds eating a burger with no bun kind of depressing?

When I go to restaurants I usually get what I want, but try to be cognizant of portion sizes rather than just go to town. My husband and I will often have apps and then split an entree at places where the portions are big. I rarely order dessert.

I do my best to log the meal and rarely feel guilty because I know I can eat less the next day to compensate.
    I order burgers no bun often. I call them "steak". :smile: Seriously, to me? a restaurant bun isn't worth the calories. I also often check to see if they have a ruben. If they do, it means they have rye bread (doesn't bug my stomach) and then I get a burger on rye.
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that owns a restaurant - it is local (as in, not a chain). I don't expect him to give me the recipes for his food, but it is OH soooo yummy. Anyways, I know it is made with "real" ingredients, so I just find something similar and go with it. Like his Potato Skins are similar to TGIF's, so I log TGIF tater skins, Pizza - Similar to Domino's, etc. I know it isn't exact, but it is close. I feel that if I don't enjoy somethings, sometimes, that I will fail.

Even when you make a recipe at home, are you sure that you are eating 1/6 of something that makes 6 servings - as in, if it has a cup of green peppers in it (and a whole bunch of other ingredients), are you making sure you only get 1/6 of that cup of peppers when you measure out the helping?

Let the burning of me begin :)
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    shugmn, I do much the same thing, just log closest I can. I tend to overestimate sizes of portions. Which is why I don't get too caught up if my calories are more or less than goal, I have them set at 1200 but if i exceed by a bit well it's still a deficit really :D
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i just relax and eat whatever. not like im doing it every day
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    In for funny non topic replies
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think a great guideline to remember is that a family style casual chain is still fast food.

At Olive Garden most everything comes from frozen. At Applebee's much of the "cooking" is done in plastic bags and containers. It arrives mostly pre-made and requires microwaving. They even par-cook the pasta and microwave it before serving.

Some chains are better than others (I do enjoy On The Border once in a great while--but it's hard to find menu items that don't have scary high calorie counts).

I prefer eating out at a small family owned restaurant. Even last weekend where I got fast food--a clam roll and fries--I still went for the small locally owned family restaurant where everything is made to order and the seafood is local. My favorite clam shack happens to use cholesterol free oil and they change out the oil a lot. Still cheap but at least the cooks are actually cooking and not heating up microwave plastic bags of food made in a factory.

Whatever you get while eating out just break it down by ingredient if not a chain and log to the best of your ability. If the food is simple and homemade it should be pretty easy to log!

There's also this article that was published last week that breaks down if eating out is actually cheaper than eating at home:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2013/08/20/put-new-study-test-eating-out-cheaper-than-cooking-home/CytldzC97LORKpESA31RTI/story.html

My favorite quote from the article: "No question, groceries are expensive and getting more so. The gap might be narrowing, but is eating out cheaper than cooking at home? Well, if you believe that, you probably want to be careful about traveling too close to the horizon, lest you fall off the edge of the earth."
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When I do eat out its a treat so I order what I want. I make sure to look the calories up afterward and log it. I order something that I cant make at home!