Fat ... oops

Options
I'm fairly new here. Things were going well - eating close to my net calories, weight coming down, good energy level. Then I broke out around my mouth. At first I thought it was because I'm eating a lot more fruit. Then I looked at the graphs and found the problem. I've been cutting fat too low.

Since there's a pretty direct correlation between fat and calories, that's going to require some re-planning. Any suggestions for the best way to add more fat grams for the fewest additional calories? TIA!

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    You should be eating a minimum of 0.35g fat per pound of lean body mass for proper hormonal function. look up a lean body mass estimator online and figure out what you need.

Easy way to get more fat is to just go with full-fat options of milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, regular cheese, etc.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Nut butter!
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Nuts! Avocados!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Avocado, nuts, chia seeds.....

vitamins in veggies tend to be more readily absorbed with fat, so make a vinaigrette with olive oil and dress away.

Personally, I notice that without sufficient fat, I am starving!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats are likely not quite as bad as they're made out to be*. So full fat dairy, meats, etc are good choices for that.

With that said, you should aim to get *most* of your fats in the form of poly and monounsaturated fats. Excellent sources include olive oil, avocados, nuts and seeds and nut butters, and fatty fish such as salmon.

Yes, you will have to cut calories in other places (mainly carbs) to accommodate an increased fat intake. But, the upside is that more fat will keep you feeling more satisfied, so you might not even miss what you have to cut out.

*Edited to add: for those individuals who don't have any health issues or dietary restrictions prescribed by a doctor. AKA, the general public.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'd forgotten about fat in avocados - Yum! With those and vinaigrette, my salads just got more interesting :) . I've already added some nuts. I can replace some nonfat yogurt substitutes with the real thing and enjoy those, too. Thanks! I can see a longer term direction here.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Curious why a lack of fat in your diet would cause you to break out around your mouth?
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Curious why a lack of fat in your diet would cause you to break out around your mouth?

It's a guess, but that's the likely culprit. You need a certain amount of fat to nourish the skin. I show dogs, so I'm very aware of the connection between quality dietary fat and skin/coat condition. I just forgot to apply that to myself :)