Just keep losing my way..Back again.

Options
Hey everyone, so as I was logging in today the app reminded me that I have been a member for 10 years now. I have come and gone countless times but have used this app to lose a good amount of weight about three times over the last decade. It always comes back, I always slip and stop tracking things, hopefully this time is different.

A little about me, I am a dad, husband and small business owner with my wife in an accounting company. We both work from home and sit most of the day with little to no exercise. I am a night person so when everyone is in bed I stay up till around midnight each night and end up with a snack or two. Most of the day I do not snack at all, but maybe a bit here and there. I am turning 40 in two weeks and am at my heaviest (300lbs) and at 6' tall I am not severely terrible looking but I am fat, man boobs and all. I would like to change that.

I mostly want to lose weight for two reasons. I cannot get out of a chair and walk casually up the stairs without my heart rate shooting from 75bpm to 130bpm and its getting concerning and I also want to learn how to scuba dive which will require a much healthier and lighter body.

My biggest downfalls are always deciding I want to lose weight and going at it 150% for a couple of weeks and then losing the will to record everything and exercise. Hopefully this time is different.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome back!

Yes, sometimes a more moderate "slow and steady" plan is a faster route to goal weight than an aggressive plan that's tough to stick with, causes setbacks or even giving up entirely.

I was just re-reading some old threads here today, in the "Most Helpful Posts" section. This bit kind of hit me (from someone else's post), and it sounds like the advice could be closer to how you're thinking on this round:
    - It's about weight management, not weight loss. Weight loss has an end date, weight management is for life. Weight management is about being in control of your weight. Making conscious decisions about when you'll eat in a deficit to lose weight, eat at maintenance, or even eat in a surplus to splurge and enjoy life.
    - It's all about consistency. It's better to eat 'pretty well' forever than 'perfectly' for a month or two. It's better to eat in a sustainable calorie deficit than overstrict for a while then binge.
    - If it's not a 'forever' change then it's not worth making. Temporary changes yield temporary results and as soon as you stop you just end up back where you started. There a loads of different ways to achieve results so find the ones that you can honestly say are forever and make those changes and discard the others.

It's from this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10741403/your-mistakes-made/p1

. . . in which a lot of people share what they learned from attempts that didn't work out, before they found a path that did.

Wishing you much success - that this will be your time to find that long-term good path!