Insanity plus going to the gym?

Options
I am doing insanity plus going to the gym to do weight training. Would my results be the same? I have cut cardio out at the gym and am just lifting weights for about 30-45 mins a day 5x a week while doing insanity 6x a week.

Helpful tips would be great!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What results are you looking for?
  • ashleyrg
    ashleyrg Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to get toned, and decrease my body fat %.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your question on whether or not your results will be the same. I hope they will be all you hope for.
    I have a couple of questions though.

1. How is your intake? (Remember the old calories in vs calories out thing?)
    2. How is your body handling doing both?

While I didn't attempt it, I don't believe I had it in me to do any real weight training along with Insanity. Insanity was enough of a push for me to not think about anymore exercise until the next day.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think it's great! I've been doing Insanity, and am in Week 6. I lift at home, usually 3x's a week. I think weight training is a great compliment to the program. Just be sure you're getting enough calories!! :)
  • ashleyrg
    ashleyrg Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    my intake is good, I've been eating and burning enough in fact I've been losing a few pounds. it's tiring but If it helps I can manage it. I have more energy throught the day!
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Remember that what you don't do can often be as important in lifting as what you actually do. Muscles don't get bigger in the gym. They get bigger resting after the gym. You can overtrain if you aren't careful.

It's a bit of a rant, but remember there is no such thing as toning muscle. Muscle either gets bigger or gets smaller. You don't lengthen muscle or shorten them. Generally by toning people mean "increase muscle and decrease fat". So if that's what you want, don't sacrifice the increase muscle portion in order to decrease more fat.

At a given calorie intake, your body can only support so much weight. If you increase your muscle mass, your body fat will automatically go down. Has to. Of course, this means your body fat % goes down.

Not saying don't do both. Just that you should be careful and monitor your body.