Help!

Options
I am 22 years old, male, I weigh about 185 pound. I go to the gym 6 times a week. I lift fairly intense. I go for about 2 and half hours. I have been eating about 2500/2600 calories. This was a good thing for me as I have been recovering from A ED. However I wanna get bigger but stay lean. I am about 9-10% body fat right now I think. How many calories should I eat to build muscle but also stay lean? I track everything I eat and I know I eat enough protein (over 200gs).

Replies

• ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you're not gaining at 2600 calories maybe bump up to 3000 and see what happens. You don't have to get fat to bulk, but less than 10% is definitely sub-optimal.

I also expect you'll do better to increase the intensity in the gym and cut back the amount of time you're spending there by half. Spend the extra hour napping.

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    2500 cals for that amount of training maybe isn't enough?

That sounds like a lot of volume. Are you sure you need that much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mja2fDwYA5s
  • michaelsmithpa
    michaelsmithpa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would tend to agree that 2 1/2 hours 6 days may be a bit excessive. Also it is going to be very hard to gain muscle mass at 9-10% body fat. Would definitely bump up the calories. I train for 90 minutes 6 days a week. 3 day split with a cardio day in between, no off days. This works well for me. Increase or decrease my calories depending on what I see in the mirror. Lots of great videos regarding this topic on you tube