Chicken techniques!

Options
SoDamnHungry
SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
Hello again, wise forumers. I'm looking to cook a few chicken breasts at a time so I can eat them on sandwiches and salads for lunch during the week. The problem is that I'm a terrible cook with no good recipes, and my chicken is dry and tastes like crap.

So: What is your best method for cooking a chicken breast? Anything stove top or oven is doable for me. I want it moist, I want it delicious, and if you have a fancy (or not so fancy) way of seasoning, that would be great, too! Just nothing breaded since that doesn't taste so fabulous after it's been in the fridge. And, also any tips of how to store it in the fridge and have it still taste alright a couple days later would be appreciated.

Come now, good people! Give me your advice so that my chicken might be tasty as well!

P.S. Chicken thigh methods are also welcome. Sometimes a girl just needs a thigh.

Replies

• mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058882-parmesan-crusted-chicken-184-calories-with-pics

I plan on trying this one out but it looks good and easy enough
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-moist-tender-chicken-breasts-every-time-36891

I tried this and mine turned out amazing and very flavorful!
  • AHuffaker14
    Options
    sometimes keep it simple, just season with salt and pepper, a little basil and some rosemary. really simple and tasty
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    If you use boneless breast and cut it up into slices or bite sized pieces it cookes very quickly in a saute pan - Just 2-3 minutes. A bone in breat can go in the oven about 350 for 40 minutes or so. My favorite seasonings are herb d'provence, lemon pepper, and hungarian paprika. Lemon juice, garlic, and onion powder are nice too. Chili powder, cayenne are great if you like a little kick. Curry or 5-spice powder works well too. The trick is don't overcook you chicken. Good luck!
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    For bigger chicken breasts, I'll just season with salt/pepper/granulated garlic and bake for 20-25 minutes. For the thin-sliced breasts I'll hit them with blackening or cajun seasoning and do them in a pan with a touch of vegetable oil spray.
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    two ways i cook chicken

1. baked chicken with lemon, garlc, salt, peper, and a little bit of low sodium chicken broth (or whatever i am in the mood for)

2. crock pot chicken with a can of soup
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I know I tend to over cook chicken because I really want to make sure it's done all the way through.
    How about poaching it wine...? I'd bet it would help keep it moist even if you miss the mark a little on your timing.
    (I myself am allergic to wine, so I must live vicariously through you!)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I do mine on the grill mostly, but you can also slice them into cutlets, season and bake them, they'll stay moist and you can use them for just about anything. Skinny taste has an awesome coconut chicken recipe, goes good on salad or over rice, even by itself. You can slice it up and sauté it in a skillet, then use it on salads, or sandwiches, over pasta, scrambled in with eggs. That's just some of the ways I do chicken.

Rigger
  • lifeviabrittney
    lifeviabrittney Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is probably the easiest and tastiest way chicken can be cooked quickly. I do this with frozen or not.

Spray pan with non-stick spray, put in chicken and season with black pepper, onion powder, and minced dried onion. Cook on medium and covered until the liquid around the chicken is mostly reduced. You can turn the heat up or down as needed. When you turn it over, it should be a nice brown color. You can cook the other side until it's a golden brown as well. Cook until desired crispiness...but make sure the inside is not pink!

It makes a nice caramelized look and texture. SO GOOD on salads, with veggie sides, in chicken recipes, with pasta...basically anything.

I make and post a lot of low calorie EASY to make foods on my blog. You can check that out! www.theprettyplus.com/recipes
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like grilling is out!

One of my favorite ways to cook a chicken breast if I'm adding it to something else is:

heat the pan, add in a tablespoon of olive oil. Put chicken breast that has been cut up (and sprinkled with sea salt and pepper) in to pan. Splash with Trader Joe's Soyaki sauce (or marinate chicken in that sauce before cooking).

Love me some Soyaki!

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=1096
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    This is probably the easiest and tastiest way chicken can be cooked quickly. I do this with frozen or not.

Spray pan with non-stick spray, put in chicken and season with black pepper, onion powder, and minced dried onion. Cook on medium and covered until the liquid around the chicken is mostly reduced. You can turn the heat up or down as needed. When you turn it over, it should be a nice brown color. You can cook the other side until it's a golden brown as well. Cook until desired crispiness...but make sure the inside is not pink!

It makes a nice caramelized look and texture. SO GOOD on salads, with veggie sides, in chicken recipes, with pasta...basically anything.

I make and post a lot of low calorie EASY to make foods on my blog. You can check that out! www.theprettyplus.com/recipes

Sounds good. What kind of liquid around the chicken? Just natural chicken liquid? Or am i supposed to put something in it?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    First brine them for 2hrs or so, depending on thickeness, then cook them any style to around 145 degree internal temp and serve.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    First brine them for 2hrs or so, depending on thickeness, then cook them any style to around 145 degree internal temp and serve.

I noticed there were some good brine recipes on allrecipes.com...but they are all for the whole bird. Do you have one you would use for just 2 chicken breasts? It also looks to be best for chicken you are going to roast not saute stovetop.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I know I tend to over cook chicken because I really want to make sure it's done all the way through.
    How about poaching it wine...? I'd bet it would help keep it moist even if you miss the mark a little on your timing.
    (I myself am allergic to wine, so I must live vicariously through you!)

Do you have a meat thermometer? Takes out the guess work and you avoid dried out chicken! (or other meats). :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I noticed there were some good brine recipes on allrecipes.com...but they are all for the whole bird. Do you have one you would use for just 2 chicken breasts? It also looks to be best for chicken you are going to roast not saute stovetop.

This one calls for 6 hrs

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/homemade-chick-fil-a-sandwiches-recipe.html
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Former chef here ...I highly recommend cooking to 155, and letting carry over do the last 5 degrees. 160 is the magical number for chicken.

I love brining...just be sure to watch your sodium. Some recipes call for TONS of salt!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/perfect-pan-roasted-chicken-thighs

Easy and delicious. To me, just as satisfying as fried chicken - I love me some crispy chicken skin.

You can skip using the tablespoon of oil in the pan to bring the calories down even further. There's more than enough fat that will render out to make it unnecessary.

If you're using a cast iron skillet, don't heat the stove top as hot as they tell you. I'd stop at medium heat. I just used my new cast iron skillet last night for this recipe and it burnt the skin :cry: I've made it tons of times using a regular non-stick pan and it's come out perfectly.

ETA: Re: storage - don't cover these in the refrigerator until they are completely chilled and the surface looks dry, or you'll end up with a soggy mess. If you do it right, that skin will stay crispy even cold.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    roast a whole chicken. let it cool, pick it apart with your hands. You will have light and dark meat to do whatever you want with it. Cheaper and moister than boneless breasts
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I want to cook alot of chicken, I will cook it in the crockpot. It is moist and falls off the bones. Plus, it is super easy!

You can use chicken thighs or breasts. Add enough water to have around 1/4" of water standing, basically just enough to cover the bottom of the crockpot. Sprinkle your preferred mix of seasonings. You can go as crazy on the seasoning combinations and add-ins as you want. I like Mrs. Dash garlic and herb, but garlic powder, onion powder and paprika is good too. I don't overload on seasonings, esp if I plan on using the chicken in a variety of dishes. You can always add extra seasoning and spices to the individual meal.

2-4 frozen thighs or breasts - cook on high for three-four hours.
    2-4 thighs or breasts fresh NOT frozen - cook on medium or low (depending on your crockpot settings) for 2-4 hours.

I like to fix this on my lunch hour and it is all ready for supper when I get home!

Tip: Seperate the broth from the chicken for storage. I was in a hurry once and didn't store the chicken and broth in seperate containers...turned the entire thing into a very mushy texture, it was horrible!
  • rfihn
    rfihn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this rosemary chicken recipe. It is best with smaller breasts because cooking it in a pan is difficult to cook it all the way through without burning it. I would let the balsamic & the oil sit on the chicken for a while. Chicken cooks the most evenly when it is room temperature so I usually take it out the fridge and put all this on top of it and let it sit there for about 20 mins. I also take a spoon and scoop up the oil and pour it back on the breast to get the most absorption.

Recipe (taken from Racheal Ray):
    Ingredients:
    4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast, 6 to 8 ounces each
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, eyeball it, just enough to coat chicken lightly
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3 stems rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped, about 2 tablespoons
    Salt and coarse black pepper
    4 cloves garlic, cracked away from skin with a whack against the flat of your knife

Coat chicken in balsamic vinegar, then olive oil. Season chicken with rosemary, salt and pepper and let stand 10 minutes.

Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken breasts and cracked garlic to the pan. Cook chicken 12 minutes, or until juices run clear, turning occasionally. The balsamic vinegar will produce a deep brown, sweet finish on the chicken as it cooks.

PRO TIP FOR CHICKEN: You can tell chicken is done by how "springy" it is when you push on it with the back of a fork. Do this while it is raw to get a feel for how springy it is uncooked. Then when you think the chicken is almost done push on it again (with a clean fork, raw chicken is bad mmm'kay) and see the difference. It takes a few tries but once you know what it should feel like you can get perfectly moist chicken every time no matter how big the chicken breasts are.