Disabled

Options
I have actually been on MFP for over a year straight now. I just have never gotten onto the community. I am in my 50s and I have a disease called Charcot Marie tooth disease. No it does not have anything to do with teeth. It is a neuromuscular disease. (With CMT the nerves and thin muscles atrophy and you do not get it back.) yay 🙃 I am not able to walk really well and do not get a ton of exercise except when cleaning house and things. I have lost about 43 pounds since starting last year, but it is going so extremely slow and I am frustrated. I have been trying to eat high collagen, low saturated fat, and approximately 1400 cal a day.

Replies

• californiagirl1969
    Options
    Same age group here, sounds like you're doing pretty good losing 43 lbs in that time frame is great.

Sorry for you having to deal with a disability, but given you do you're doing better then some people who don't have one, and it doesn't seem to be slowing your weight loss down.

I.loss 55 lbs in the same t I me frame and I really didn't exercise, I can I just don't have time or energy for it, taking care of home and family takes its toll.

Weight loss takes time, some weeks we lose and some we stay the same as long as you stick with it counting calories, measuring foods, drinking water, cooking and eating healthy foods and a periodic treat that fits into your calorie range you will continue to lose weight. And regarding exercise I would check with your doctor if you can get physical therapy.

What is your ultimate goals?

Mine is to lose 30-35 more lbs.
    Keep up the good work.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Hi Mimi,

Welcome!

How much more do you want to lose? Losing 43 pounds in a year is fabulous progress, especially depending on where you started!

"All" I did for exercise today was cooking and cleaning, and I'm exhausted. (Well, it was about 6 hours, so...)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    43 pounds in a year is pretty great for anyone, IMO, and even more impressive when you have limited ability to be active. Are you finding that weight loss is now slowing down significantly more, versus earlier? (It would be normal and even desirable for the rate to slow as you get close-ish to goal weight, and you don't say where you are now.)

I understand that it can be frustrating, and I think that's not helped by all the nonsense on reality TV and in tabloids, YouTubes, etc., suggesting that it's normal or healthy to lose 20 pounds in a month or something super extreme like that ( . . . which creates health risks, limits ability to get adequate nutrition, and isn't really very compatible with a normal busy and challenging life).

You are doing wonderfully, overall!

If you're starting to feel a little burned out, it may be a good time to go to maintenance calories for a couple of weeks, to sort of re-charge. (There's some scientific basis for doing a thing like that, plus it's good practice for staying at a healthy weight once one reaches goal.)

More info about that here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

Best wishes!