Only half a pound loss

Options
Bit deflated today. Deficit of 400-500 every day, 10k steps every day, healthy eating and only half a pound loss in a week 🥲

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you need to lose, .5 # is completely acceptable. You don't want to lose too much too fast because I find it's easier to gain it all back if I go off the track. We all want the results they promise that comes with 'lose 21 lbs in a month' or whatever ad they're using to sell their product or service these days. Sure, we all want to be the perfect weight, size, shape, as of yesterday. But reality doesn't work like that, sadly. :( It takes commitment, work, effort, and most of all, patience. Keep eating healthy, staying within calorie allotments, and moving, and you'll get there. Plus keep reading the knowledgeable posts on MFP.
    Good luck to you!!!
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Try to look at things 2 months in advance with a weight goal, as body composition will be much clearer then. Weekly weigh-in can sometimes be muddy and fluctuate.
  • californiagirl1969
    Options
    You're doing a good job, keep on pushing forward.
  • cxeex
    cxeex Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Weight loss is not linear, perfectly normal. Our body is more than 50% so water weight fluctuations can easily mask fat loss on the scale.

Furthermore, if you're only weighing once a week, that weigh-in might happen to be a high day of the week and you might have weighed less on other days.

Just keep going, patience is a virtue where weight loss is concerned!

Some side notes:
    - if those 10000 steps are new, that might be causing some water retention as your body gets used to it
    - eating healthy is good for your health, but not strictly necessary for weight loss. Also, I hope your definition of 'healthy' isn't too strict. If you're depriving yourself of your favorite foods in order to lose weight (hard knuckling through it) I would encourage you to take a less strict view and incorporate some 'treat' foods within your calorie allowance. No need to suffer to lose weight!
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Weight loss is not linear, perfectly normal. Our body is more than 50% so water weight fluctuations can easily mask fat loss on the scale.

Furthermore, if you're only weighing once a week, that weigh-in might happen to be a high day of the week and you might have weighed less on other days.

Just keep going, patience is a virtue where weight loss is concerned!

Some side notes:
    - if those 10000 steps are new, that might be causing some water retention as your body gets used to it
    - eating healthy is good for your health, but not strictly necessary for weight loss. Also, I hope your definition of 'healthy' isn't too strict. If you're depriving yourself of your favorite foods in order to lose weight (hard knuckling through it) I would encourage you to take a less strict view and incorporate some 'treat' foods within your calorie allowance. No need to suffer to lose weight!

Thank you, the septs is definitely new. I have an office job so had to work hard every day to get them steps in

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    Below is an actual Libra graph from when I was losing weight rapidly (honestly too rapidly, for a while there, by accident - don't do that, it's unhealthy). The connected down-hill-ish line is the statistical trend; the little upright bars connect each daily weight to the trend.

You can see that the daily weights bounce all over: That's fluctuation! I'm long in menopause, so this is without even having monthly cycles (which can be a real multi-pound roller coaster of water fluctuation for some women). This doesn't show the very start of weight loss, and those first few weeks can be even crazier:

79f9phe4s9qg.png

If you look closely, you'll see weeks in there where if I'd weighed on just the wrong days (instead of daily), I'd have thought loss was slow/none, when it was actually pretty fast. I'm not saying you need to weigh daily - that's too stressful for some people. But it can help one understand how one's own personal body fluctuates, what some triggers are, and how long the effect tends to last.

If you haven't read it, this is a very good article, may be reassuring:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Hang in there, stick with it, this can work, I promise. Best wishes!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, OP. I found your half a pound loss last week. :)

You're welcome. :p

(No. Seriously. You lost and didn't gain. Still a win. Even maintaining would be a win.)
  • InsanityFan1
    InsanityFan1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Its still a loss, hang in there, keep at it!