"Basically" new and I have a Q!

Options
I made my account about a year ago but haven't been serious about using it, but am finally getting myself down to business! I have no friends on here but would appreciate support. :)

I also have a question..
The last couple of days I have been running on the treadmill. I never really ran before and for the first time yesterday, I ran a mile without stopping! I am very proud of myself for that. ;) But, I have developed an achy throat and a cough. Is that from my body not being used to running? I hope it will go away soon.. It's very annoying.

Anyway, Thanks!!

Replies

• prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    Hello. Nice work running that mile. Maybe you are getting sick? Hope not. Just make sure you hydrate while on the treadmill.

Add me if you want!

Good job being in here!

Marta!
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on Running a mile! That's awesome! The achy throat could be for several reasons - deeper breathing could cause you to inhale more dust and allergens, so it could be an issue of allergies. Are you breathing in through your mouth instead of your nose? From running protocols I've read (and I am not a runner, so correct me if I am wrong), it's best to breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. Breathing in through the mouth could generate a dry scratchy throat. Do you have asthma? A sign of my asthma is coughing, which can lead to an irritated throat. Or as someone else said, are you getting sick?
  • kerner43
    Options
    It could very well be from the running.
  • eh_its_sarah
    eh_its_sarah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey, Thanks!
    And I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth, just like you said. I don't think I have asthma, anyway I never noticed it before. Annnnd maybe I am getting sick! I just noticed it three days ago when I actually started running. I read online that your lungs can tear just like muscles, so maybe that's it?
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Congrats on running a mile and you will find as you progress you will knock of milestones like this quite quickly. But great work!

On the sore throat, it could be from the running but I am guessing its something else like being sick. It does take your lungs time to get into shape as well, so that is why I say it could be from the running. Just give it a few days and rest up and keep up the good work and hopefully it will go away! But congrats on the hard work paying off!
  • eh_its_sarah
    eh_its_sarah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Awh thank you!! I felt pretty accomplished!

I am assuming it is me getting sick instead of the running.. I hope it goes away soon too!
    Thanks for the reply. :)