Fats question.

Options
Have a question in regards to my fat intake. As of right now i have my macros set at 45p/35f/20c. On my workout days of burning around 500 calories it allows me to eat close to 2200 total calories. Now my question is this. Most of my fat sources come from peanut butter, almonds, flax seeds, and avocados.

Here lies the problem (maybe). I usually mix 2tblspoons ground flax seeds with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with 24 almonds mixed into it. Then ill spread the rest of my fats out for the rest of the day. But with this one sitting i am consuming 37g/85g total for the day.

Is it bad to consume that much of my fats all at once? Or does it not really matter?

Replies

• enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't really think it matters.

You're choosing fat from healthy sources - not saturated and trans fats - so that's good.

So long as you're eating sufficient calories (sounds like it) and eating a variety of healthy foods throughout the day, it doesn't really matter if one of your meals/snacks is particularly high in fat.

With only 20% for carbs, make sure you're getting enough fruit and veg in your diet. That would be my only concern with having higher macros for protein and fats.
  • FloridaMichael
    Options
    my usual day consists of 2 servings of both brocoli and green beans and an orange in the morning, with usually some sort of fruit whether it be watermelon or strawberrys or an apple in the afternoon. also snack on baby carrots sometimes with that fat concaucion.
    I take a multi vitamin every morning as well which should help if I do happen to be missing some vitamins through my diet.
  • FloridaMichael
    Options
    and just realized i wrote my macros wrong. Its 40% protein, 35% fats 25% carbs
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You're fine.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    25% carbs is still too high if you want to lose weight unless you're doing massive cardio workouts. Most diets recommend about half of calories from carbs, but how's that working out for most people? If you keep your carbs under 20% (sticking to fiber and veggies and cut way back on sugar and starches) and you get the allotment of protein you need for your body/workouts, etc..., then all that's left for nutrition to make up the rest of your calories is healthy fats.

I've got my macros set at 30% protein, 15% carbs, and 55% fat, and since I've been sticking to that ratio, I've been consistently dropping body fat. Other than trans fats, ignore all the warnings out there about fats in your diet. Your body needs fat like it needs protein to build and repair and your body, especially your slow twitch muscles, burn fat for fuel just fine and you'll end up netting less calories from the process than the same caloric intake of carbs would ( about 75% versus 100%). Everything in my refrigerator and cabinets are now the full fat versions. I don't eat low fat anything anymore and I have plenty of energy and still run a calorie deficit, so I'm losing a few pounds a week and building muscle from working out at the same time.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    25% carbs is still too high if you want to lose weight unless you're doing massive cardio workouts. Most diets recommend about half of calories from carbs, but how's that working out for most people? If you keep your carbs under 20% (sticking to fiber and veggies and cut way back on sugar and starches) and you get the allotment of protein you need for your body/workouts, etc..., then all that's left for nutrition to make up the rest of your calories is healthy fats.

I've got my macros set at 30% protein, 15% carbs, and 55% fat, and since I've been sticking to that ratio, I've been consistently dropping body fat. Other than trans fats, ignore all the warnings out there about fats in your diet. Your body needs fat like it needs protein to build and repair and your body, especially your slow twitch muscles, burn fat for fuel just fine and you'll end up netting less calories from the process than the same caloric intake of carbs would ( about 75% versus 100%). Everything in my refrigerator and cabinets are now the full fat versions. I don't eat low fat anything anymore and I have plenty of energy and still run a calorie deficit, so I'm losing a few pounds a week and building muscle from working out at the same time.

People do fine with 40% carbs and more.