Craving

How do you stop the cravings from happening? I love chocolate and junk food.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Cook your own junk food, in such a way that it fits into your calorie allowance.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    denise8252 wrote: »

I've read there are two types of people, abstainers and moderators.

I'm definitely an abstainer. It's much easier for me to stop eating a food like chocolate than try to moderate it. I don't miss it and don't feel deprived. Eating a little makes me want it all the time. Other people would feel they were missing out and prefer to moderate it, eat a little at a time.

You might miss the salt and fat from junk food. I agree with the comment that said make your own at home. This type of food isn't good for my health, too many calories and the salt gives me high blood pressure. I have some walnuts instead, a healthier fat, or fruit if I want something sweet.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    denise8252 wrote: »

Another strategy is to give yourself other positive messages.

Example: you hear yourself say "I love chocolate and junk food."

You can then tell yourself, "Not today. I also love fitting in my skinny jeans and wearing a beautiful sweater" OR "I love being lean and healthy."
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,301 Member
    I often tell myself I can have it on Saturday, when Saturday comes around I pick the one thing I craved the most during the week and have it. Not all the things but the one that still nags at me. One thing of mac& cheese on Saturday that I planned for by fitting it into my day is better than Mac & Cheese on Wed, followed by pie on Thursday and a few beers on Friday...
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    One thing I'm working on is trying to figure out what my triggers are for wanting the sweets or the salty potato chips. I think when I get too hungry, that is one. Eating regularly so I'm not super hungry seems to help with that.

I've also noticed when I see sweets, my brain (which was totally happy five minutes before) starts buzzing, "I want that!" So walking away from them so I can't physically see them seems to calm my brain down.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    When dealing with a lot of cravings, I make sure I’m getting enough protein, eating meals on time, and plan for some reasonable snacks so I’m getting planned protein every 3-4 hours (that’s what’s worked best for me, YMMV).

To keep cravings at bay overall, I plan for the foods I like, make sure I’m not restricting any foods or being overly restrictive in general, and not overly eating sugary foods or foods that trigger cravings and binges.

If I’m heading down that path of binges with known triggers or stressors, I catch it when I notice it and put actions into play to help stave it off, like high-protein meals or a snack. Some of my go-tos to stop things are Greek yogurt with protein powder, oatmeal with peanut butter and Greek yogurt +/- protein powder, etc. That usually stops it in its tracks and gets me back on track.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Ps- the cravings occurring and your actions in response are two different scenarios.

What you do to set yourself up to reduce cravings is one set of actions you can control.

What you do in response to cravings is a different set of actions, which you can also control. It takes a different set of skills than the first set.

The cravings themselves might be physiologic (because you are really and truly hungry and any type of food would do to satisfy it) or psychologic (because you think you are hungry and falsely believe you need a specific food or type of food to satisfy it— this type of craving can be ignored). You can learn over time to tell the difference and how to apply which set of skills to which craving type.
  • denise8252
    denise8252 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks everyone for the great advice Thank you so much for the help I appreciate it.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    I buy 72% chocolate. It seems to solve the need, but isn't so thrilling that you eat the whole block. I started on 50% chocolate, that was gorgeous, so moved up to 62% chocolate. That took a little while to really like... then moved to 72% fruit & nut, or 72% mint - now I can take 72% chocolate plain. :smiley:
  • denise8252
    denise8252 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks