Protein after lifting

Options
I’m new to lifting and want to know am I supposed to have a source of protein right before or after working out? I usually workout at night and do not eat anything after

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your overall protein is far and away more important than the timing of that protein. There is allegedly a 30 minute metabolic window after lifting for which, for maximum results, one would consume protein and carbs. This concept was born out of the bodybuilding industry and is for the most part "bro-science" and there is very little scientific evidence actually supporting this concept. Even if it was a "thing", it would be more or less irrelevant to your average Joe/Jane hitting the gym to improve their overall fitness. Most of us do not train in any way that is remotely close to how a bodybuilder or competitive lifter trains.

Your overall diet, protein intake, and quality of your lifting program are going to have far more impact on your results than slamming down a whey shake within 30 minutes of leaving the gym. If it was that easy, everyone would be jacked.
  • HEYREFF
    HEYREFF Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I've learned from experts that you should always replenish your body with nutriants after exercise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    There's some evidence that protein timing is more important for aging people (like 55+) than young ones. If that's you in your profile picture, I think you are in the group that people like Wolfman above is talking about (relatively young): Protein timing isn't nearly as big an issue as getting enough of it in total, plus general good nutrition, adequate calories (not losing fast if needing to lose), and a good strength training program.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What wolfman said.

Maybe don’t eat big right before a workout.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eating some protein (which can be part of a meal) around your workout (before or after) can make a tiny difference. The sort of difference someone trying to optimise their results to get every last few percentage points might invest the effort in such as a high level athlete or well trained individual.

For your regular lifter it's a good thing but it's a million miles away from being necessary, a minor benefit.

I'd put the main effort in optimising the quality and consistency of your training, your overall nutrition (including protein and calorie level) and recovery first.
    e.g. if eating late disturbs your sleep your sleep then don't do it, if it doesn't then it's a very marginally better time to get some of your daily protein in.