Asthmatic runners

Options
I can't believe I'm going to actually say that I am a runner, but I believe I have crossed that line as I run about 25 miles/week (7.5-9 min miles depending on distance). I always use my inhaler about 30 min. before I run, and I cannot run outside if the temperature is below 40. My problem is, when I run, I cough a lot. Do any asthmatic runners out there have tips to prevent coughing episodes? (Side note: I also swim 3 days a week, and I do not have issues with coughing then.)

Replies

• gonnasee33
    gonnasee33 Posts: 163
    Options
    Bump for reading later . Asthmatic myself
  • Emmienz
    Emmienz Posts: 29
    Options
    Bump to read what others say as im just the same i trying to push from walking to running atm but im finding it so hard with my Asthma
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I'm only replying to bump this to the top so that maybe someone will see it.
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm asthmatic as well (doc says exercise induced) but I have not had any coughing fits when running (except when its really cold, so I just avoid it). I use my inhaler about 15 minutes prior to running and run for 30 minutes. I'm not sure what to tell you :/ I try to control my breathing and just breathe out of my nose, four counts in and four counts out. I jog, not really run though. I top around 6-7 mph but avg about 4-5. So not sure if my breathing advice would help as I do not have the coughing issue. I have quite the opposite! Lol, I get a lot of drainage when I run. But hopefully you find the answer you're looking for!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Could be allergy related. I'm on singulair and another medication, and the singulair has a component that can help with airborne allergens. You might talk with your doctor about switching up your meds now that you are running.

My asthma is considered severe chronic/acute, yet I'm still very well controlled with the cocktail he has me on. However, my climate is MUCH different than yours. Good luck!
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    When I asked my doctor for advice, he told me not to run. That's not helpful. There may be an allergy component to it, and I find when I run in my home town (Kennebunk, ME), I don't have anywhere near the issues.
  • EverythingIsTakenAgain
    Options
    I have asthma, and my doctor originally prescribed a Proventil inhaler to use about 15 minutes before running. Well, my asthma worsened over a couple of years to where I was using that inhaler multiple times daily, even if I wasn't running. I went back to my doctor, and he prescribed a daily steroid inhaler, Asmanex. Since I started using it, I have no problems breathing while running or in my daily life. I think I've used my Proventil inhaler 3 times in the 6 months I've been on Asmanex. Before, I wasn't having coughing fits while running, but difficulty breathing, lots of wheezing, and a constant need to clear my throat/cough something up.

You may want to ask a doctor (either yours or a different one since yours seems opposed to you running) about a daily steroid inhaler. I didn't want to have to rely on taking something daily for my asthma, but it has been well worth it for me.

Hope you find a solution that works for you!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,945 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with asthma (exercise-induced and allergy-induced) nearly 35 years ago. While I'm a heavy-lifter now, for 25+ years, I was a cardio-gym-rat.

For me, I took my ventolin only 10- or 15- minutes before exertion (still do) - and it has fended off asthma attacks due to exercise for years. Perhaps the simple fix is to try taking your ventolin a little bit CLOSER to the time you are doing your run??