Disagree, No More!

Options
Betty
Betty Posts: 8,817 MFP Staff
edited April 2022 in News and Announcements
Well you can still disagree with other opinions (politely of course), but you can no longer do so through a “Disagree” reaction button.

When we turned on the Disagree reaction a few years ago, we did so with the intent to test it out and see if it added value to the community. While we did see some benefit via less contentious responses to “woo science” or “bad advice” posts, we also saw misuse of the reaction on positive non-opinion based posts. Which let’s be honest, it can be pretty disheartening to get a disagree on a selfie post or success story without any context. With that said, after much thought and deliberation we have decided to retire the Disagree reaction.

So what does that mean?
  • Any prior disagrees will disappear from posts and your user profile, and no new ones can be added.
  • You can still use the Like, Awesome, Inspiring and Insightful reactions.
  • If you feel the need to respond to a post with a difference of opinion we ask that you do so politely and constructively, or move on without posting.
  • We expect all members to follow our Community Guidelines and ask that members report content that is a violation using the Report feature. I’ve included a few relevant guidelines below:

1. Play Nice
I WILL:
I will be respectful and understand that everyone is different. Some members are new to this, so be kind to the newbies.
I will remember the human on the other side of the screen.
I will share my opinions while respecting others' thoughts and feelings as well.
I will be ready to hear and accept other opinions that I might not always agree with.
I will ignore users.
I WON'T:
I won’t be a jerk.
I won't attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. I can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but I cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the member’s spelling or command of written English, belittling a member for posting a duplicate discussion, or attacking a member for posting in an older discussion. (ie. It’s lose not loose, strong first post, didn’t you already post this today, etc.) Not every member has the same level of education, so I’ll refrain from criticizing a member for not framing their content in a manner befitting a university-level science paper.
I won’t pick apart how something is said; I will focus on the meaning/message.

2. Treat others with dignity, compassion and respect
I WILL:
I will SHOW RESPECT.
I will show kindness.
I will respect that MyFitnessPal has a zero-tolerance policy for hate speech.
I WON'T:
I won’t be a bully.
I won’t belittle others.
I won’t make any derogatory references to sex, gender, age, weight, body type, disability, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation.
I won’t stalk other members. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors.
I won’t make stereotypes against other members.
I won’t post discussions or comments that incite racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm to any individual or group.
I won’t endorse violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor.
I won’t publicly post information that poses or creates a privacy or security risk to any person (i.e., by publicly posting any person's contact information on the forums).

3. No Trolling
I WILL:
I will stay on-topic in an existing discussion.
I will report trolls instead of engaging them.
I will contribute politely and constructively to a discussion, or move on without posting.
I will ignore users.
I WON'T:
I won’t troll.
I won’t flamebait.
I won’t call someone out.
I won’t police other members.
I won’t feed the trolls.
I won’t take a discussion off-topic, it’s considered hi-jacking.
This discussion has been closed.