New here and looking for advice and accountability

Options
Hello all! I started MFP a week ago. I’ve read several articles on here and am attempting to incorporate all that I’ve read. Looking to lose about 40 lbs. I’m incorporating light beginners exercises from the app to get me used to working out again. How should I set my macro goals to lose weight more readily? I’m currently 1400 calories, 50% carbs, 30% fats and 20% protein.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,886 Member
    Options
    My experience was that it was overwhelming to try to do everything at once, so I focused on calories.

One I did that, I started to understand things like that I could have half a pound of chicken breast for the “cost” of four Oreos, and the chicken was much more satiating, too. Or a couple ounces of jerky or huge bowl of fruit versus a bowl of cereal. That I could “pad out” a smoothie with extra ice and it was more filling (not to mention hydrating).

Then my macros sort of gradually fell into place.

I also don’t look at them daily. It can become obsessive. Instead, I’ll temporarily change my settings to “week view” to see what my averages are. I find that that view is much more acceptable than stressing over daily ups n downs.