New here and looking for advice and accountability

Options
Hello all! I started MFP a week ago. I’ve read several articles on here and am attempting to incorporate all that I’ve read. Looking to lose about 40 lbs. I’m incorporating light beginners exercises from the app to get me used to working out again. How should I set my macro goals to lose weight more readily? I’m currently 1400 calories, 50% carbs, 30% fats and 20% protein.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,816 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, the only direct factor is calorie balance. Nutrition is for health, energy level, performance, body composition, and that sort of thing - so also important. Nutrition can also indirectly affect weight loss via energy level (fatigue = move less) or appetite (hard to stick to calorie goal long enough to lose weight).

The MFP defaults are as reasonable starting point for most people, to begin working toward if you're just starting and not getting enough protein or fats on reduced calories . . . though the default protein goal can be lower than ideal for some, especially if they're going for a very aggressive weight loss rate. With someone with relatively little to lose **, and if health and exercise performance or muscularity ("toning") are in your goal set, 0.5% of current weight weekly would be a good loss rate.

** Yeah, I'm sure it sounds like lots to you; but if 40 pounds will get you to a healthy weight, you're unlikely to currently be severely obese, so obese that your weight in itself is an acute health threat.

Think of protein and fats goals as minimums, because they're "essential nutrients" in the technical sense that our bodies can't manufacture them out of anything else. In that technical sense, carb level is more flexible, preference-based.

A good bit of macro allocation, as you go along, is figuring out what keeps you personally full, happy, energetic, sated. That can be very individual, so others can give you ideas to try, but (I suggest) beware of people who tell you there's "one true way" for those.

Here are some sources for more detailed run-downs on macro allocation for health/nutrition/performance:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/
    and its background/explanation:

https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

Without knowing how tall you are or any other details, it's hard to be more specific, but those references should get you to reasonable numbers.

FWIW, I'm female, 5'5", in maintenance after losing 50+ pounds a few years back, mid-120s pounds (around 57kg), active, vegetarian, age 66; I have my protein minimum set at 100g (was a little lower when I was losing because of having fewer calories to spend, so 80s-90s), fat minimum at 50g, don't care where carbs fall (but I usually get 225g or so).

Best wishes!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Welcome!

Everyone has different ideas on macros, but what you have is pretty standard. Typical percentages are 45–65% from carbs, 20–35% from fats and 10–35% from protein. I find for me fats/proteins are more satiating and certain types of carbs cause me to crave more carbs. So I limit sweets & bread and try to lean on protein and fats more. On a good day I have 30-35% Carbs, 30-35% Protein and 35-40% fat. If I look back at my diary lately I've been closer to 50% Carbs, 30 fat & 20 Protein. Either way, I'm losing weight. I'm short so my calories are lower, but I try to be 1300-1400 most days but it isn't unusual for me to have a few days at 1600+ during the month.

I weigh daily, many people are weekly or less. Again a preference. I like it because I can see the effects the foods have on me as far as what bloats me up, it's nice to have a grasp on the fluctuations so that a slight blip up doesn't discourage me. A lot of people use an app like Happy Scale, but I just throw my info into a spreadsheet and track it that way.

Ultimately, its what makes you feel best and fits within your calorie allotment.

Figure out what makes you feel full and satisfied and make that your go to type of snack. My go to snack was always carrots with peanut butter, cinnamon & sunflower kernels (mixed together like a dip). Nice mix of protein & fat did well for me. Bread makes me want more bread (see yesterday's diary, ate rolls all day then skipped dinner - not ideal), sweets make me want more sweets, but complex carbs don't seem to bother me.

Best of luck!