Diabetes Help

Options
HopeB77
HopeB77 Posts: 18 Member
edited March 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Just recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Can you all give me some helpful information, tips, etc with this?

Thanks!

Hope B. 🥰

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Have your doctor set you up with a Registered Diabetes Educator that can give you all the info you need for your situation. There should be one at your local hospital.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    HopeB77 wrote: »
    Just recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Can you all give me some helpful information, tips, etc with this?

Thanks!

Hope B. 🥰

The best thing I did was get a freestyle libre glucometer. There will be other brands - but the point is you sort of bang it onto your arm, it sticks there for 2 weeks measuring your blood glucose. You use a little handheld - or your cellphone - to download up to 8 hrs of measurements, and can use it to plot graphs, see how your blood was overnight, see how your meds impact on your blood sugar, and so on.

One amazing thing I found was that when I felt truly sick, and couldn't walk another step - my sugars were HIGH. not low. high.

Information like that is really useful. And knowing what bloods are doing will have an impact on what you eat. I was obsessed for about a month.

Also: this guy is great. low carb is a good way to eat for diabetes; and not high protein as your body turns protein into carbs as well.

https://www.youtube.com/c/drekberg

That guy was an olympic athlete, is a doctor, and explains the mechanics of how sugar do in your body in a kind of high-school level magazine style show that is easy to absorb.

https://www.youtube.com/c/KenDBerryMD

This guy is easier to understand and more simplistic, and I could watch him all day just for that fantastic accent. :D

Watch 'the bitter truth' if you can, watch all documentaries on sugar and carbohydrates you can. The sugar myth is another one.

Diabetes type 2 is a response to carbs and sugars. A very negative physiological response. So boning up on how it all works is very very helpful.

:) Meanwhile, be brave. Diabetes is hateful. If you can lose enough weight and avoid enough carbs/sugar you can resensitise your insulin response. That's a way better result than type 1 diabetes!