Need more protein

Options
I am looking for ways to add more protein into my diet. I do not eat red meat or eggs. I eat yogurt, fish, low fat cheeses...what do others do to add protein, especially "enjoyable" protein?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is, it may be easier to find if you look at the spreadsheet linked in this post:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Scroll past the meaty/fishy stuff at the top that you don't want to eat, find other options further down.

I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian (don't eat many eggs, though). Besides what you listed, I eat legumes, various soy foods, red lentil pasta, chickpea pasta, peanut butter powder (as a flavoring, not a spread), hemp hearts, flax seed, nutritional yeast (as a flavoring), broccoli (not a high-quality protein, but high in protein), cauliflower (ditto), crispy broad beans as a snack, miso (flavoring), . . . .

Also, I make it a point to choose foods I enjoy in almost every category, that have a little protein, in preference to those that have none. Little bits add up through the day, make a good addition by day's end.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Black bean soup, chili (beans or lentil), make oatmeal or oat-bran with soy milk instead of water and add hemp seeds, chia pudding, add edamame to salads or pilafs, whey or plant-based protein powder in smoothies.
  • tamekahend
    tamekahend Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nuts and peanut butter, Fairlife milk and protein shakes, protein premier has cereal that’s good, has like 20 grams protein per serving, get mine from Walmart.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Light n fit greek yogurt or plain Greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, tuna and salmon(fresh, frozen, or in pouches), boneless skinless chicken breast, quest bars and pure protein bars, Kay's naturals protein snacks, silk organic unsweetened soymilk, protein powder.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I am looking for ways to add more protein into my diet. I do not eat red meat or eggs. I eat yogurt, fish, low fat cheeses...what do others do to add protein, especially "enjoyable" protein?

You don't mention chicken in either your "don't eat" or your "do eat" categories.

Chicken is my most efficient and enjoyable source of protein. I have a stupid amount of spices (plus I get a new one every month thanks to my library's "Spice of the Month" club), enjoy foods from a wide range of ethnicities, and never get tired of chicken.

During Lent I make a point of eating more fish. One of my objections to fish is that it costs so much more than chicken, but it is on sale this time of year. My bedtime snack during Lent is smoked salmon and low fat cream cheese on an English muffin, or pumpernickel bagel when I can find them.

"Food Processor Perfection" has a fish cake recipe my whole family likes and one of my supermarkets sells "chowder fish" which is inexpensive and perfect for fish cakes. (When I was growing up, I hated my mother's fish chowder and never grew out of that.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    tamekahend wrote: »
    Nuts and peanut butter, Fairlife milk and protein shakes, protein premier has cereal that’s good, has like 20 grams protein per serving, get mine from Walmart.

It's a common misconception that nuts and PB are a good source of protein. They are not. They are a great source of FAT, but come with so many calories that they are a very inefficient source of PROTEIN for the calories.

v2d215oi57yc.png
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    tamekahend wrote: »

It's a common misconception that nuts and PB are a good source of protein. They are not. They are a great source of FAT, but come with so many calories that they are a very inefficient source of PROTEIN for the calories.

v2d215oi57yc.png

I know. I *know*! But I love peanut butter and peanuts in the shell. :) But you are definitely right and it is probably the one main reason for me not hitting my protein goals as often as I should. :/ Occasionally, I'll add a can of tuna or an omelet to my daily meals. I used to eat a lot of chicken breast when I could find it on sale for 1.99 # but now that sale price is 3.99, it's a once in awhile thing. But chicken is such a versatile food, I'll just have a nice thick chicken(or turkey)/spinach/tomato wrap or chunk up a bunch of it to throw on top of a green salad that's overloaded with tons of veggies. (A soup bowl isn't nearly big enough for my salads) :) I eat about a quart of 0% fat plain Stonyfield yogurt every day too. I love that stuff doctored up with a little bit of SF syrup and sometimes even a dollop of FF topping to make it taste lighter.