Suggestions for lowering sodium and good low sodium meals

Options
2»

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    A lot of fresh meat has sodium hidden inside. They inject It with broth solution. Most of the chicken beasts at Walmart have 180 mg per serving and that's before you even cook it. It's hard to find chicken breasts without the added sodium but it is possible. We have a grocery store about 20 miles away that doesnt add solution to their meats, but it is more expensive. Pork is another one that's usually injected with solution. Be sure to read the labels.

Also bread has a lot. I have started baking my own bread just so I can make it without salt.

Yesterday I was buying syrup for a recipe and found that the Lite syrup had a lot of sodium but the regular syrup had hardly any. So I had to choose, more calories or more sodium. I chose the calories.

My favorite low salt meal is to cut up a chicken breast and a sweet potato into chunks, sauté with a tiny bit of olive oil and a lot of Mrs Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    A lot of fresh meat has sodium hidden inside. They inject It with broth solution. Most of the chicken beasts at Walmart have 180 mg per serving and that's before you even cook it. It's hard to find chicken breasts without the added sodium but it is possible. We have a grocery store about 20 miles away that doesnt add solution to their meats, but it is more expensive. Pork is another one that's usually injected with solution. Be sure to read the labels.

Also bread has a lot. I have started baking my own bread just so I can make it without salt.

Yesterday I was buying syrup for a recipe and found that the Lite syrup had a lot of sodium but the regular syrup had hardly any. So I had to choose, more calories or more sodium. I chose the calories.

My favorite low salt meal is to cut up a chicken breast and a sweet potato into chunks, sauté with a tiny bit of olive oil and a lot of Mrs Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning.

I just ran to my freezer to check my chicken. 217 mg!! OMG! Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will start stealing live ones from my neighbors yard.