Gain a pound or 2 and freak out!

Options
I've got my new goal weight. My final goal weight. The last one this time!

My kid is home on spring break and my husband had surgery, and it's gone awry! My head is distorted too. I was within 2 lbs of goal. Now I'm 4 lbs from goal this week. I know it's not a big deal. The kid will go back to college on Sunday, and our routine will return to normal, but it's hard to see a gain when I wanted to lose a couple more.

Some of it is likely from salt and not drinking enough water, etc. I haven't gone super nuts on eating, just eating out more and having to guess at diary entries more than usual. "I wonder if that was 200 calories of tortilla chips or 600 calories of tortilla chips....."

Just venting!

Denise

Replies

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like the healthiest mental relationship to have with your weight or eating.

The scale will always go up and down, this is going to have to be something that you learn to live with.

What do you think would help you cope with this better?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    IMO, goal is not "a weight" but a range of weights. Bodies fluctuate. Many of us in maintenance set up guiderails, it's OK to weigh between X and Y (where those boundaries encompass our usual range of water weight fluctuations). Over the top end of the range for more than a single outlier day, cut back a little until back at the bottom of the range . . . or variations on that theme.

Life gets crazy sometimes, things happen. It doesn't have to be some kind of dramatic epic disaster. For me, looking at it through that drama lens is 100% not helpful. Usually, if I've been over, I give it a few days to a week or so for the water weight to settle out. (I weigh daily, put it in a weight trending app and have for years now, so I'm very familiar with my normal water weight patterns, how long they usually last, etc.) If I'm still up out of my target range, time enough then to intervene.

Over maintenance for a few days? Go a little under for a few days, maybe, or do a week of 5:2 IF if you're up to it. You know how to lose weight, if you get a little bit up in your weight range (after you give the water weight time to settle out). Set up a calorie banking routine to keep some wiggle room. There are various strategies, those are just a couple.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have been in a space in which a two pound gain would make me feel down. I don't like being in that place. Celebrate your losses and gains with a balanced mind that honors your journey and includes compassion and love for yourself. That's my best advice. And when you can't quite get there, just honor that. We're human. And that's mostly a tough gig.