3 years of life changing

Options
rwood566
rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
3 years ago today i started my life change with a lot of professional help. i started at 566 pounds, housebound for 1 1/2 years, unable to walk 150 feet or stand for more than 2 minutes. i am now at 229 pounds, without surgery. it took me 6 months to lose my first 30 pounds because i was learning to change my bad habits. starting in october 2019 i lost 10-12 pounds a month until october 2021. i just used calorie in counts and walking 2-3 times a week. in all honesty, i do feel like i had it easy compared to most people here. i didn't have work problems, since i was to heavy to work, and i didn't have any small children to take care of, which i know is very stressful. one of my biggest regrets on this journey is that i have no pictures of me at the beginning, except for my driver's license. the first ones i took were when i was about 425 pounds and just starting to get out.
my next year starts tomorrow with an initial consult for skin removal surgery at my v.a. hospital. i am hoping they will either decide i need it or at least tell me how much all of my extra folds weigh. that way i won't drop to low trying to get to an "ideal" weight.
about me, i am 57 years, 6'4" and medium to large boned. i am currently wearing 1-2x shirts, down from 6x and 40-42 pants, down from 6-7x gym shorts after sizing out of 66 pants. i was on 2 blood pressure pills and have been removed from both, i was pre-diabetic and now not even close, my cholesterol has gone from 450 to 150.

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    WOW congrats on all you've done so far & best of luck with the skin removal!
  • PurlandSeam
    PurlandSeam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Such an amazing journey. Congratulations. Hoping the skin removal is approved. Good luck!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful success story! Wishing you the best with your future goals.
  • dawjr1952
    dawjr1952 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Amazing. Congratulations and good luck!!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,042 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    EXCELLENT!!! I wish you could sit in Dr Nows office and show others how this can BE DONE without surgery!! I get so frustrated with those who "think" surgery is the only option. Shoot in the end they always have to eat so much less anyways. GREAT JOB!! FANTASTIC job!!!

Our stories are different, and yet have some commonality. I started at 288 (Check with family and friends they may have pics of you at a larger point. Mine did) I was using a power chair 97% of the time, not able to hardly walk. Sure part of that was the weight, the majority of it was due to back/foot pain. I moved from Maine to Colorado for a bit for medical help around those. Thanks to that help I slowly started to walk, and hence the weight came off easier. Than I got a bone infection which lasted for 18 months. They FINALLY amputated my big left toe (They did NOT want to because by that point I was walking, well on crutches with the foot or my knee scooter. They thought I'd end up back in the power chair, I DID NOT!). Once that was cleared up, I did well,,, LOL until a brain aneurysm was discovered by accident, but that was taken care of too! After that heart failure!! So life keeps a coming at me, but that's OKAY!! We grow, we change as you are doing so wonderfully and we can beat down any health issues,,, you've been through so much!! Your COURAGE and determination are showing.

Would you like to join us on the 2022 Spring 5% Challenge? We can help support you and you help others to be supported by your zeal, and example. WOW!! Oh there are few I'd LOVE to have you talk to on the various teams within the 5% Challenge. The ones who say "I can't" when OH YES THEY CAN!! I've done so, you have too. Just your posts would lift many.

Here's the link to look over the team if you wish.

Anyone else reading this you are also very welcomed to join us.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/142698-2022-spring-5-challenge-community
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's amazing. Congrats on what I imagine is a whole new life.
  • arlenemcavoy9970
    arlenemcavoy9970 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Amazing you should be so proud of yourself! xx
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am almost speechless! Your post and accomplishments are stunning. Congratulations on your tenacity, effort, and focus. Thank you for sharing and giving me hope for a better, healthier life.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    rwood566 wrote: »
    3 years ago today i started my life change with a lot of professional help.

Can you tell us what kind of professional help you got?
  • rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @avatiach I received in home care from the V.A.. I had a nutritionist and a behavior therapist visit every 2 to 3 weeks for over 2 years, first in person then video.
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! I am so happy for you! 🤗
  • lacylucy1935
    lacylucy1935 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congrads to you, huge success! You must feel so much better and confidence through the roof!! Keep up the great work and know that you can help others as well.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,143 Member
    Options
    Roger I am soooooo proud of you and your accomplishments ... You have done so well and you are an inspiration to many ...Great job ..hugs <3
  • beautyandababe
    beautyandababe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How many calories did you eat per day? What was your daily meal plan like?
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Options
    Roger, I have told you many times and I will say it again, you are inspiration.
  • KobiHensley
    KobiHensley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am so inspired by your post!! What an amazing journey :smiley: Thank so much for posting!
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    When and if you are comfortable, would love to see a picture of this inspiring individual... Yourself. Awesome job. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    What an amazing accomplishment! It must've been a lot of commitment and challenging times along the way but wow, you did it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!